From:
Taylorclan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 00:27:29 +1100
Well today I broke one of my own rules and entered a petshop I had vowed
never to enter (long story involving rats and mixed sexes and their
attitude to it...)

I was in the store next to it and thought I would just fill in some time
whilst a friend finished their shopping.  (thought I was safe ferret wise
as you don't often see kits in pet stores here)

Well they had the tiniest little siamese ferrets in there - one was so
tiny and when I asked if I could hold them he got the bigger one out and
the tiny one backed into the corner and shook :(

when I enquired how old they were I was told that they were 8 weeks old
(8 weeks old my **** they did not yet have their canines and still wobbly
on their feet etc...) to top this off their 'cage' had two bowls and pine
shavings, no bedding, no hammocks, no shelter.  Knowing my husband would
kill me if I bought home another ferret I walked out ferretless.  My
daughters 'can I have a kitten please?' pleas were closely followed by my
'can I have a kit (or two) please?' pleas... we both got 'the' look...
Well I just couldn't get the littlest out of my mind and told my DH that
I couldn't and that I really did feel like just going down there and
getting it - his answer 'well while you are out can you get some milk' -
so Fergal is now residing with us...

8 weeks **ppfft** he makes our 9-10 week old girl (who was runt of her
litter) look like a giant (I have pics when I find the camera cable I
will host pics) - he has been chowing down on ferret food moistened with
ensure and divetelact all evening!!

Not really sure where to go from here.  I know this pet shop has been
reported to the RSPCA before and I will probably call them again - not
that they were much help when I asked them about the rat issue but worth
a try... I might also drop some information sheets in to them so the
staff knows a bit more about ferrets - any ideas would be welcome at this
point.

I could kick myself for supporting this store by giving them my money
but there was no way I was leaving that poor little mite there a minute
longer (he is so scrawny and I am guessing only about 5 weeks old if
that)

Jane
**Pepe, Spike, Elvis, Harmony and
Fergal**