From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 21:00:43 -0800
To Tryntje Miller:

>Our fuzzy Josie has what we think may be a boil near her rectum.  It is a
>hard feeling bump that is pink in color and seems to be itchy because she
>is always rubbing her bum on the ground.  To add to the problem, she seems
>to be leaking very loose stool (but she doesn't appear to have diahrea).

Well there are several things that this could be:

In that area, a common problem is a complication from descenting (although I
don't know how old Josie is.  These are most commonly seen in the 1-2yearold
age group of descented ferrets.  Improper or incomplete descenting may leave
fragments of the anal sac in the ferret which tend to get infected and
inflamed from time to time until finally removed.  They can abscess (form a
boil) and require draining and removal.

Sweat gland cysts are also common in this area, as there are large numbers
of scent glands in this area.

Another possibility is neoplasia.  I have seen several types of neoplasms in
this area, including apocrine carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and even a
chordoma, which metastasised fromthe lumbar spine to the perianal skin.
None of these are a lot of fun.

>We started giving her Chlorpalm (antibiotic) today in case it is some
>kind of infection.  Hopefully this will suffice until we can see our vet.

Probably well, but don't delay.  Your vet should remove the lump as soon as
possible, and send it to a pathologist for examination under the microscope
and diagnosis.

>What kind of treatment is used for adrenal cancer?  There is a slight
>possibility that one of our fuzzies has this and we understand that this
>can be treated.  We want to know what all is involved.

Most cases of adrenal disease (some non-cancerous lesions cause identical
symptoms) involves removal of the affected gland.  In most cases, the
operation is simple and straightforward, but the longer you wait, the
trickier it becomes.  Look at the top of the FML and get the address or the
Medical FAQ - it has an extensive area on adrenal disease which should tell
you everything you want to know.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP