Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:50:14 -0800
Great topic.

I'm a novice, only had ferrets for a tad over 5 years.  In those 5 years
I've acquired 6 ferrets.

I've made decisions to cut, and not.  I base my decision on two things,
the opinion of my very knowledgeable vets as to the prognosis, and the
overall health of the ferret.

The Little Kidd, male age 2 1/2.

Hair loss, slight weight loss, slightly lethargic.  CBC values were as
good as it gets, we opted for surgery.  Left adrenal enlarged, removed,
right slightly enlarged, frozen.  That was two years ago, no further
problems.

The Kidd, male age 3.  Insulinomic crash, started on pred for two months
to stabilize glucose.  This was a tough decision, but I opted for surgery
due to his age, and the fact his CBC showed all functions were go.  Also,
my vet has had good results doing surgeries for insulinoma tumors.
Several small cells removed, along with the left slightly enlarged
adrenal, right looked fine.  That was almost two years ago.  If/when he
has symptoms again, we will not do another surgery, but manage it with
pred.

Parris, female age 5.  No health problems.  I will base any future
decisions on her overall health and the opinion of my vets.

Buddy, age 6, Mz Lily, age 4?, Isabella, age 3?
All shelter surrenders, bald and sick.

All had immediate adrenal surgeries.  Mz Lilly and Isabella are now
healthy and have beautiful coats.

Buddy has a nice full coat, but has one kidney, (one lost during surgery
that took 110 minutes) cardiomyopathy and is now insulinomic.  I opted
for no further surgery, based on his age (6+), health, and the opinion of
my two vets.  He is maintaining well on meds.  His surgery was almost a
year ago.

I just recently started all 6 on oral melatonin, am considering implants.

Ardith