From:
Travis Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 09:17:10 +0100
In some sort of defense of Superpets I feel I must throw in my $.02.  My
second one came from there a month or so ago (this is the SP in Frederick,
MD BTW).  As of yet, no problems.  We spent a *lot* of time in the store
(well, living across the street from it helps...) before deciding the time
was right.  This let us get to know the staff and the ferrets.  Every time
we went they offered to let us hold them - they really have nothing to hide.
Some points:

Ours is a MF fer't - two dots in the ear, the MF paperwork, etc.

They occasionally change breeders - although the staff is somewhat clueless
about this.  I think it's more a case of not being there when the truck
arrives - The clerks that we dealt with were pretty knowledgeable otherwise.
One or two even have ferrts of their own.

All seem healthy every time we're in there.  Ours did bring some a bug
though - just some minor coughing (upper resp.).  (see next).  They were
treated with anti-biotics (both injected and oral) and both boys are fine
now.  It's really a treat to have ferret snot blown at you...

We're *Very* happy with their in-house vets, SuperVets.  Every time we've
been in we've gotten the same Doc; they know ferrets - one of the vets did
some of her post-grad work in ferrets apparently.; prices are very
reasonable (sorry, I don't recall exact numbers but I can get them if
anybody is intersted); they have a multi-pet discount; they allow walk-ins
for anything (we did shots on a walk-in basis w/no hassle); hours are great
(store hours, incl.  evenings).  They seem to be a very complete vet - full
surgery, etc.

The in-store vets treat the un-sold pets also, but only at the manager's
request.  I would imagine that a customer complaint could get them motivated
to be treated, or at the least get you some professional insight into what's
really wrong with them.

The only draw back that I've found with them is how they're raised.  Our
first one, a non-SPets 'ret cam home litter box trained.  The SP guys are
allowed to use any corner of their "cage" (more of a huge aquarium w/glass
sides), and each corner has a water bottle.  I think that they begin to
associate water bottles and poop-corners.  It took a while to break to new
arrival of this habit.

In all, my SuperPets experience has been great. I really have no complaints.

-travis