From:
Todd Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 1994 09:54:54 -0600
> happens, they will go right next to the litter box. We have

Re fuzzies going around litter boxes rather than into them:

A year and a half or so ago, I had this problem when training Seldon.
I put a doubled-over old towel under the litter box forming a frame of
about 4 inches on all sides, and that deterred him from going right
next to it for the most part, because Seldon doesn't like to go on
fabric (your mileage may vary).  Dors never had this particular
problem when she was learning, but then by the time I got her, I had
the litter box enclosed on at least two sides by being wedged between
the wall and the toilet.  If any of you new fuzzy keepers are looking
for a place to put the litter box, try between the wall and the
toilet, but don't put it too far back behind the toilet to start.
Also, I alcohol the floor periodically (it evaporates quickly,
especially when wiped, so it seems safe).

I've seen a few questions about litter training go by in the last fewe
months, and I've been pretty successful with the training, so I post
again my personal instructions.  Pamela, everyone, what do you think?
Shall we improve these and put them into the FAQ? (I haven't looked to
see what's in the FAQ on this subject lately).

------
Here is my litter training technique.  It may or may not work for you.
My slinkies are perfect at using the box with about 2-4 rooms of area
and just one litter box in the bathroom.  Naturally if you don't cage
your urchins (as I don't cage mine) you must quite adequately
ferretproof any area you let them have (beware of escape, toxins,
breakables, scratchables, upturnables, and chewables).  I
bitter-apple-goo (the goo, not the spray) the electrical cords just
for added safety.

1. Start with the ferrets confined to a single room.  I started with
the bathroom, placing a box in a corner right near the toilet (so I
can throw the poops in the toilet every day).  I've cut out the front
of the box so the front lip is only 1 inch high.  I use standard clay
litter, non-scoopable.

2. If they make an occasional mistake, you can try (cleaning it up
very well and) putting a rumpled up old blanket or old clothing in the
corner or area where they made the mistake.  My ferrets will not go on
a rumpled up blanket, perhaps thinking it an auxilary bed, or in any
case, not a corner (who knows what they really think?).  Your results
may vary.

If they are totally out of control (or if the blanket trick doesn't
work), then confine them to a smaller area.  If they are already
confined to only one room, them confine them to a smaller area,
eventually so that they must choose between going in their bed or the
box.  If the latter doesn't work, I don't know how to help you.

3. Once they are using the area perfectly (for a week or two), add a
little bit more area, say, a hallway or a small room.  As a wall, I
use large pictures (with adequate support) with the glass turned
inward; you may have to use plexiglass if your urchins jump high.  If
you close a door to make a wall, you may have to put a strip of
chickenwire or plastic runner under the door so they won't dig the
carpet to shreds.

If they make mistakes, go to step 2.  If they are ok in the new area
(but wait a week to make sure), go to step 3.  I don't think you can
expect ferrets to use just one litter box if they have to travel more
than 3 rooms to get to it or have to go up or down stairs (but maybe
some people have more trainable urchins than mine).

Tips:

If you catch them doing it wrong, yell "No!" loudly, try to pick them
up and turn them upside down before they actually go, and flick them
on the nose hard once or twice (you must make it very unpleasant for
them to have tried to go in the wrong place -- though some keepers may
not agree with flicking them, as they maintain it may make them more
violent), and put them in the litter box.  Speak soothingly to them
when they come out, or if they were just faking watch them and repeat
the procedure if they decide to go in a bad place.

Ferrets usually go within 5 minutes of waking up.

It helps if you can be home to watch whenever you expand to a new area
(ideally, pick a weekend).

If they are voiding under a dresser, prevent them from going under
there.  If under a bed, either prevent them from going under, or try
the blanket trick, but generally, if they are out of control, confine
to a smaller space that doesn't include the bed or other problem area
until they are quite good at the smaller area.

If they go on carpet, go to a janitor supply place and get an enzyme
that breaks down urine.  Soak up as much as you can with a paper
towel, then pull up the carpet (since they go near a corner this is
easy) and spray the enzyme on the pad and under the carpet as well as
on top.

If you move the ferrets to a new area, you may have to train them anew
(I moved twice recently, and they are back up to several rooms again).
If you alternate areas, then it may be a little hard to train them,
but if the blanket trick works then you may be able to use it.
------
Re bite ferrets

Most of the fuzzies I've met (about 200, or maybe 30 that I've played
with seriously) are wonderful, and don't bite harder than enough to
make you say "ow, stop that" (lower case).

I think that a lot of fuzzies take after their keepers, and want to
please them.  Both of my urchins are really good about it, and in fact
Seldon will not bite you no matter what you do.  It sounds as if Otto
needs more instruction, and I would say from your description that he
is more of a biter than most.  Go to a high quality mall-type pet
store and meet some slinkies -- you'll still see them housing the
slinkies in shavings (which I believe without evidence can irritate
respiratory systems, or if cedar is downright poisonous), and the poo
in the corner, but the fuzzies you meet at a good pet store will only
bite while playing for the most part.  About half of the fuzzies which
I've played with in pet stores (and I always play "rough" and rile
them up massively) would bite hard enough to hurt a little, but I'm
confident these would learn quickly not to bite if I kept them.

Re Martins -- Playful Thieves program on TV

The program last night on the Discovery Channel was an hour long, and
examined most of the major mustelids.  They spent especially much time
on Martins, the Mouse Weasel (which hunts mice), Polecats (which look
remarkably like ferrets but are not quite the same species, and if I
remember not nearly as domesticated as the European Domestic Ferret),
and (River) Otters (which are apparently nearly endangered).

The program was quite enthusiastic about the Weasel family, talking
often about play, housing, and reproduction, and speaking in neutral
terms about the family's expert hunting abilities.  The tone was
respectful and fair, going a little into a conservationist tone.  They
did not mention pet domestic ferrets anywhere, which I though was a
small lack, given the popularity as pets.

Thanks for patience on the long post.

Todd Cromwell
Behalf of Dors (Ms. Insane) and Seldon (Mr. Well Behaved)