From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 14:27:35 -0400
We had a vet who used to say that he enjoyed treating ferrets partly
because cats are more inclined to live in the past so they remember and
that doesn't necessary bode well for a vet, dogs are more inclined to
live in the present so that doesn't necessarily work out well during a
disliked procedure, but ferrets tend to think about the future so they
are so often busy hoping that what happens next will be good that they
ignore the rough times.

>I don't mean to be a zealot but I have seen this before.  Any animal
>"breed" that becomes extremely popular degenerates.  It is up to the
>"clubs" to counteract this.  Ferrets are the third most popular domestic
>pet.  You have to start now or we will all pay for it later.  Especially
>our beloved little carpet sharks.

True.  Historically that has also been true when shows become important
(which is why ferret shows are trying to find even more ways to not have
as negative an impact on health and longevity as dog, cat, and horse shows
have had for too many breeds).  Historically, among companion animals it
is generally true that "fancies" are more inclined to shortened life spans
and to reduced health or handicaps.  This is especially so for things like
pigment deprivations of multiple types, dwarfism (shortened limbs but
normal trunk size which really stresses the back slung between them and
can also cause cartilage problems) shortened faces (try fitting the same
number and size of teeth into less space...), and some other things.  Yes,
some fancies have normal life spans and some may even do better, but don't
assume those are the norm.  DO ask for health and longevity records for
the line when you buying.  When you find a trusted private breeder who
has loving home conditions, carefully kept records, and good health and
longevity reflected in those records then you have found something very
worthwhile.  Remember, just because a feature (color, pattern, pelage,
form) looks good to humans does NOT mean that it is healthy for ferrets!