From:
Eleanor Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:19:15 -0400
Does prednisone damage the kidneys in a ferret being treated for
insolinoma.  I have had one vet say yes and another say no.  I am very
confused.  My Wolf is on 1/2 tab of 5 mg tab in the AM and 1/4 tab in the
PM.  He gets .1 ML of Diazoxide 2x daily as well as 4 chicken gravy type
supplemented meals a day.  He was on 1/4 tab prednisone 2x daily for a
few months.  He had all kinds of tests, ultrasound, etc.  and his kidney
values were a bit low as well as white cell count a bit higher than
normal.  His ultrasound was normal except for cyst on one kidney and
nodule on pancreas.  An aspiration on lymph node in neck was done because
one set of nodes were slightly up and he has been on Cefadrops in case of
an infection.  Aspirate came back with no results due to not enough cells
to determine whether or not lymphocites were present.

Wolf is scheduled for surgery on Wednesday and I am getting scared.  What
if he has lympho?  If he does, will it kill him quicker?  I am at a loss
as to what to do.  He is perky but not playful whatsoever.  We had
questioned his heart though it sounds ok and looks ok on xray.  Should I
ultrasound his heart Wednesday while the ultrasound cardiologist is there
first?  Should I have another aspirate done first?  These are my thoughts
on what I really should do first, even though money is tight right now as
it is for many.  My ferrets lives comes first and all these questions are
going through my mind right now.  I am seeing my vet tomorrow to bring in
my other almost 9 year old, "Winter" (to have a tooth checked and kidney
values checked) and will discuss these questions and concerns with her.
I just do not want to risk losing him.

If anyone knows whether or not prednisone damages the kidneys long
term/short term in high doses or low doses, please let me know.

Thank you.

My sincere condolences to those of you who have lost your ferrets
recently or in the past.  My heart goes out to you.

Eleanor