From:
Dee Gage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:40:49 EDT
Since the topic is going on, I'd like to interject an article I read (and
saved) that made The Grand Rapids Press here in Michigan in April.

The headline reads ANIMALS WIELD POLITICAL CLOUT IN CALIFORNIA and it was
written by Carla Hall from the LA Times.

Her first line was "This could be the year that ferrets win their freedom
in California."

There are apparently 10 animal welfare bills in the legislature this
session (altho some have already bitten the dust).  State Senator Dede
Alpert is apparently the person carrying the gaunlet for ferret
legalization this time around.

One point she made is "Animal bills cut across lines of party, gender and
age to connect with the one thing that nearly every member of the
Legislature is or once was: a pet owner."

Fingers crossed, you guys.  This might be the year.

Dee Gage
Owner/Operator, West Michigan Ferret Connection
Co-founder/Acting President, Midwest Ferret Fellowship