From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 1995 12:44:36 -0500
A question for Dr. Weiss or Dr. Williams.

We are caring for a ferret.  It was given to us to see if we could get him to
start eating and drinking again.

The ferret was given to a couple.  It's a male about 1 year old.  Not
knowing, they had put a flea collar (Zodiac) on the ferret and after about a
week, the ferret stopped eating and drinking.

We have been able to get it to eat Duck Soup and strained chicken, if we
scoop it with our fingers and hold it to its mouth.  Often though, we have to
use a syringe adn force feed it.  Same with water.  It will take ferretone on
its own.  The ferret is semi active - will run around the house, but is not
as bouncy as a normal ferret.  The eyes are somewhat dull.

It's almost like it lost its sense of smell, except for the ferretone.  Has
anyone encountered anything like this, and what would you suggest?  Can a
ferret lose its sense of smell because of the ingrediants in a flea collar
and if so can it be expected to recover?

Dick Bossart