From:
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 23:24:34 EDT
My vet just did a surgery on one of our shelter ferrets today.  she had a
very large mass like "bubble", "bladder"?  We also suspected an incompete
spay because of swollen vulva, strong odor, etc.

When she opened her up her spleen was enlarged, and not an incompete spay,
but a messed up spay, only part was taken out!  it was a big mess, when she
went to remove the pus filled sac, crash bandicoot died.  she was only
around a year old.

We are saving her body and going to send some tissue, pus, etc in for
analysis.

my question is she has a different tattoo, in a aqua looking ink, she has a
P on her left ear and an X on her right.  Anyone knowing what farm she was
from please let me know, her spay was awful, my vet is very upset about it
and we are trying to investigate this.  there maybe a vet or someone
performing spays and medical treatments that is not qualified to do so.

Anyone with a similar experence please foward to me.  I am holding her body
and not sending out for cremation yet, i hate to do that but i want to try
to help save some ferret lives and maybe Crash wouldn't have died in vain.
Dr. Rubin said that it was better this way because the sac was ready to
rupture and if that had happened it would have been a very painful death.
I know Crash is in good company because we had to put Magoo and Old Dude
to sleep the night before, they were very very old and they went to the
rainbow bridge together.  I will miss all of them so very much.

I have 4 more ferrets at the vets now, 1 for a spleenectomy (sp?), 2 that
are not doing well, and Slinky, a large male in case a blood tranfusion is
needed.  We try to always have one there , just in case.  Just don't let
him know that!  The vet just called and said that the one, Poomba is not
responding to fluid therapy, meds, etc.  She suspects kidney failure, I'm
afraid for her and for her sister Timone.  Please say a prayer for them.
timone will surly die of broken heart without her pal.

Next week if the yard sale goes well, we have 4 more surgeries to go and
hope to do them asap.  One is going to be touchy.

i sometimes ask myself why i do what i do, but them i look at all the
success stories running around the house dooking it up and then getting
wet fuzzy kisses and it all makes it worth while!

Everyone take care,
CJ and the Las Vegas Ferret Mobsters @
24 Carat Ferret Rescue and Shelter
702-876-8224