From:
Sunny Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2001 22:54:18 EDT
Did anyone read the article on May 8th in the USA Today Paper?  Good Job
Gary Kaskel, my Rufio and Chuckles look just like your Coco and Ginger.
It is in reference to our lovely ferrets and the New York laws on ferrets.
Well, I don't know if you are going to allow this posting but I would like
to say my two cents worth.

I have eight ferrets, three cats, six kids and one grandson, and am more
concerned on how I am going to afford new carpets than I am about getting
bit.  My ferrets have free run of my home for about 3 hours a day in shifts
of three.  I have a 4 year old grandson that also has free run around the
house and so far the only concern I have is, how do I get these eight to
use the potty box better outside of their cages.

In the article it stated that Mayor Giuliani agrees with the ban on
ferrets and that he is concerned that the city council is spending time on
legislating about ferrets.  Well, what I would like to know is what is the
city council for if it is not to legislate on things that matter to us?
(Not being a resident of NY. should I have an opinion?)

Granted there are ferrets out their that should not be allowed in a home
without a ferret knowledgeable person, but there are also dogs, cats,
horses, chickens, etc., that can be aggressive and unsociable that should
also not be allowed to interact with humans.

I know that out of my eight ferrets, 4 of them are so calm that I have
taken them to preschool centers and allowed the children to play with them.
The only rule is wash your hands when your finished and don't strangle the
ferrets.  I know my ferrets have loved the interaction as the children
have.  I also know that I have one ferret that I personally wouldn't allow
another person to hold, look at or even get close to her.  She has turned
on my on several occasions for no reason at all.  But being ferret
knowledgeable there is no way that I would allow this ferret to get out
into society for any reason.  I also would put her down if for any reason
I couldn't control her.

I guess that the bottom line is: it is the owners responsibility, the
breeders responsibility, to take care of their ferrets and if not then
someone should step in.

I agree with Mayor Giuliani that it is a waste of our tax payers money for
the city council to legislate on ferrets, only because I feel that it is
the tax payer, who has the ferret, to have good judgment and be responsible
for their pets.

The laws should be no different for ferrets than for other domestic pet for
ferrets are domestic pets.  They interact with humans and other animals
with love and compassion, devotion and lots of emotions.

The Mayor should be more concerned about his muggings and unsolved crime
in his parks, than with the ferrets I'm sure.  Let our ferrets be free.

This is one opinion from a loving ferret family.

Sunny