From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 07:14:24 -0500
I have to agree with Bill Killian about the pink butt on the 7 wk old
kit most likely being due to too early weaning rather than stress from
cutting teeth (shame, shame on the breeder)

With my first litter, but vet (ex-vet) told me to wean them as soon as
possible - at 3 wks preferably.  One kit ended up with a prolapsed rectum
that took several weeks, many trips to the vet, and $200 before it was
fixed.

With my next litter (after reading tons of literature and numerous phone
conversations with Dr. Judi Bell), I let the jill decide when she wanted
to wean the kits.  No problems with that litter!

IMO, it seems that ferret kits are well behind puppies and kittens for
example.  Their eyes open much later (about 30-35 days or so), and they
wean later - although I wonder if we try to wean puppies and kittens too
early as well.  Consequently, in the best situation, ferret kits should
not be adopted before 10-12 wks or so.

One other thing - I have found that some kits have problems with clay
litter.  The litter sticks to their butt, can actually get sucked up inside,
and cause soreness, redness, and may lead to straining and prolapse.  Try
using something like Pine Fresh pellets - with 15 ferrets it is too
expensive for me to use on a regular basis (I've only found 4# bags
available here locally), but I do use it on all my litters and kits don't
seem to have a problem with pink/sore butts with Pine Fresh.

Debbie Riccio