Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 10:03:25 -0700
Here's my letter to the governor of Michigan.  Does anyone have email
addresses for other key players in this issue?  Judge?  Vet?  Doctor?  How
about Oprah??

[Moderator's note: I wish someone had posted it here, but note it was
strongly suggested that people ease up on faxing the judge. Carrowor?   BIG]

Dear Governor Engler,

I would imagine nearly every ferret owner in the country is aware of the
plight of Kodo, the ferret facing death for what wasn't even a bite.  I
understand that in other states, cats and dogs which actually BITE someone,
and are suspected of having rabies, are quarantined for 10 days.  If they
don't show symptoms of rabies, they are vaccinated and sent home!  Kodo has
already been vaccinated, and has shown no symptoms after 8 days...why is his
death still even a consideration?

I am from California where people lose their ferrets for the crime of owning
them.  Ferrets are domesticated animals that can be neutered, vaccinated,
and trained not to bite just like dogs and cats.  Yes, they can get rabies
just like dogs and cats, and yes, they should be treated appropriately when
this happens.  Destroying someone's little pet for a suspected illness and
a questionable bite is a waste, an insult, and a cruel misinterpretation of
law.

Please see that this case is handled properly, for the sake of the Jacobs
who own Kodo, for other Michigan residents with pets, and for ferret owners
throughout the country who are hoping and praying that a positive precedent
is set as a result of this case.

Respectfully,
Amy Umpleby

  ()--(a)
   (@=@=) \
      \   \
      /\ * )  \     LEGALIZE DOMESTICATED FERRETS!

The opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of
Oracle Corporation, even if they should.