From:
Barbkitty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 12:16:56 -0500
    Well, I know I said I wasn't going to write about Marshall Farms, but
the comment that's been bothering me has come up again.  At least two people
have suggested that if we don't buy from someone, that someone will continue
to keep the same supply at the ready (does that make sense?).  But, of
course, if Marshall Farms isn't selling as many ferrets, they won't breed as
many ferrets.  If the pet store isn't selling as many ferrets, they won't
buy as many ferrets to sell.  I don't see how anyone can deny this!
However, I do think that if a boycott is to work, there are a few things
that need to be straightened out:

1) There must be a common cause. If Marshall Farms doesn't know why they
are selling less ferrets, nothing will happen except that Marshall Farms
may lose money and produce less ferrets. This will only do a minimal
amount of good. My suggestion is this: The common cause should be that
Marshall Farms should not euthanize thier retired breeders. The medical
research thing can't be agreed upon, and boycotting wouldn't stop it anyway.
I think they should set up a shelter for the ferrets like they do for
retired greyhounds. They could charge a small shelter fee for the cost
of the service, and it wouldn't take profits away from the kits.

2) Inform everyone! New ferret owners almost never know about MF. And alot
of people who've owned ferrets for a long time don't know either. If you
have a shelter, breeding program or ferret club, advertise, at least on a
small scale. I f potential ferret-owners call you for advice, you can inform
them about MF and thier alternatives. They will probably appreciate the
chance to make the decision, instead of buying an MF ferret, then finding
out about it later.

    By the way, someone said that if someone owns an MF ferret and don't
believe in MF's methods, they should take him back to the pet store.  This
is silly of course.  If you own an MF ferret, you should love him with all
your heart (like I love mine!).  Boycott from now on, if you want, but
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER take it out on the fuzzies.

    For those of you who still think a boycott effort is unrealistic, you
should know that I realize that a mass boycott will take an incredibly long
time to form.  However, we have to start somewhere, and the fuzzies who
might be saved in the future are just as important as the fuzzies here now!

    If you aren't upset about what MF is doing, please understand that I'm
not trying to convince you that you should be.  Just please don't discourage
those who are upset from fighting for what they think is right.

    I hope I haven't stirred up more unpleasantness about this.  If you
simply *must* respond, e-mail me directly, so we don't clutter up the list
with old arguments.  (Hope that's not what I just did!)

    Well keep it in mind, and give yer little ones lots of love and
kisses!!!--Barb & Seymour(a tainted MF ferret)

P.S. I have trouble believing that MF ferrets are less healthy than others.
Seymour's just perfect in that department.