From:
Nancy Propper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 09:29:54 -0700
Read "Scrappy"'s story and if you are interested in adopting him, the
contact info is located at the bottom of the post:)

"I was closing the thrift store on Saturday night, February 9th, when the
phone rang.  I needed to finish cleaning the adoption room, so I almost
let the machine pick it up.  But something told me to pay attention.

"The sheriff's dispatch said to call you," the voice said.  "We need help.
We let our Labrador retriever outside.  Then we heard a little animal
screaming.  When we ran out, she had a ferret in her mouth.  Please, come
in a hurry!  It's hurt really badly."

We are the only animal rescue in the area for anything except dogs, so I
was on my way.

When I got there the ferret was hunkered up under a car.  Volunteers
helped scoop him up into a crate and I rushed back to the store.  (There
were no vets open, and there is no emergency vet in our area.) I assessed
his condition and called a local vet, who gave instructions on his care.

Our best ferret volunteer stayed up all night with "Scrappy," until he was
out of danger.  After a few days of rest and recuperation, he was looking
very good.

Scrappy is a rather large, albino, neutered male.  He seems to have
limited hearing and limited vision, which is a common occurrence in
ferrets.  He loves other ferrets and also loves to rearrange all the
furnishings in his habitat.  Scrappy is now looking for a new home with
someone who has other ferrets and really has the time to spend with them.
NO large dogs.

And please, do NOT ever turn a ferret loose.  They are domesticated to the
point of not being able to make it in the wild."

Contact
Unicorn Point Animal Sancutary
Winnemucca, NV
775-623-2880