From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 11:11:11 -0400
Bill Gruber and gentlepersons of the FML:

I realize that this discussion has been shut off, but some private
correspondance has brought to my attention that a falsehood was rather
strongly stated on the FML, and to my knowledge has remained unchallenged.
I don't think it would offend anyone if I corrected this.

>From:    Alicia K Drakiotes/Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Local Humane vs HSUS
>HOWEVER the local SPCA's and Humane Societies are MEMBERS of HSUS.

No, they're not.  The HSUS is an animal rights advocacy group, not a
national organization of local Human Society animal shelters.  I have heard
it said that the choice of the name "Humane Society of the United States"
was deliberate misdirection to cultivate the sympathies of people like
myself who support the local humane society, but do not support the animal
rights movement.  Whatever.  My point is, there's not necessarily a link
between this group and your local shelter.  Some local animal shelters have
ties with animal rights groups.  Every single one is different and they're
independently operated.

I'm sorry to revisit this issue, but I feel that allowing this statement to
be made on the FML is irresponsible as more than 2000 people receive this
digest and many of them don't know anything more about the HSUS than what
they see here.

-Catherine Shaffer
Fuzzy greetings from Sebastian and Mortimer (There is only one Mortimer!)