From:
Jay & Lisa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 15:02:30 -0700
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: cremation (charges?)
>
>I have heard that cremation charges differ quite a bit, state by state.
>I pay $128 per ferret, for a private cremation.  What about you? ...
>
>[DM]

A terrible subject, but practical.  Cost me $100 a few years back &
included lovely wooden receptical (much like a jewelry box).  I would
suggest asking your veterinarian about this; a compassionate vet usually
knows where this service can be obtained & will make the arrangements
for you.  It's VERY helpful in such a sad & stressful situation to
have someone else deal with the details.  My apologies to all the
veterinarians for suggesting them for even more work - you guys are
mostly just too good for your OWN good.  (I wish "people doctors"
were as kind as most vets.)

Sorry for all those who have lost a four-footed friend.
-Lisa

>From:    Nathania <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret genes
>
>I live in France, and have a ferret...what has been said is true-
>European ferrets do not really suffer from the same things that American
>ferrets do.  For example, ADV doesn't exist here.... One of the reasons
>for this I am sure is that neither breeders nor pet stores nor shelters
>neuter or sterilize their ferrets before the age of 7 months...
>
>Genetic diseases are a bit different i'm sure but so far, very few
>cases of any major diseases has been noted in frenh ferrets .  You'd
>be surprised to find out that there is an almost non existant rate of
>adrenal disease- they just dont get it here.
>
> nat and the calypso

I've always thought that early spay/neuter was a likely factor in adrenal
disease because of curtailed hormone levels during sexual maturation.  I
also agree that in-breeding is another likely factor.

I got my first ferret in 1982 & she lived 9 years with no significant
medical problems.  She was not spayed until I adopted her & I know she
was at least 6months old by then.  She was never descented.  Also, there
was very little info on ferrets available then - she received rabies,
parvo & distemper vaccinations (in the appropriate ferret dose) using cat
& dog vaccines after my vet researched which was appropriate.  She had no
adverse reations to any shots.  (My current ferret had an anaphylactic
reation to FerretVax).  She was fed primarily kitten chow (no ferret chow
on shelves back then) with supplemental "treats" of small bits of any
people food she liked (would absolutely NOT eat any kind of poultry,
eggs, meat or fish either raw or cooked).  Yes, she liked raisins (&
other dried fruit) but I trained her to come to me from anywhere in the
house when I whistled by using her favorite treat of peanut butter.

I, too, would like to know if other late spay/neuter ferrets are free
of adrenal problems.  If so, we can have a lot of healthier ferrets by
making non-neutered kits preferred (pet stores & commercial breeders will
always respond to what increases profit).  I would certainly foot the
bill to have it done later if it meant a healthier longer life for my
fuzzy.

-Lisa