From:
Joyce Henkel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 07:19:32 -0600
This is the second time I have posted and desperately need everyone's input
ASAP or I will have to find homes for my wonderful boys.

Situation: SO's daughter moved in shortly after I adopted my boys.  She is
finishing college and brought with her some furniture, etc.  that she
couldn't leave at her mother's or insisted that she have it (even though it
is never used).  She really never tried to socialize with the boys and was
always yelling at them or pushing them away from her with her feet (they
would go after her and try and play (play nipping like a puppy would).  She
gets upset when they get on her lap when I have them out for playtime.  I
try and explain what is happening and she won't listen.  (She wanted to get
a rabbit when she moved in but I had the boys first and when she found out
that the potential rabbit and the boys would never get along she was upset.
Her dad asked her if she would have the time to take care of a rabbit).
Recently she took care of her boyfriends chinese dwarf hamsters for a couple
of weeks and was upset with some of their antics in their cage (they would
roughhouse with each other and one of them would cry out).  Is it that she
is under so much pressure from school and trying to cope with the new home
situation that she can't tolerate the boys?  Her room is the only one they
are not allowed in but they sure try when her door opens up.

Last night my SO cut out a piece of plywood to put in the opening to her
room appx 3 ft high so she won't have to keep her door closed all the time.
It has been six - seven months since the boys were adopted.

The boys need their play time when I get home and she is home most evenings
so to arrange a time doesn't really work.

Second problem: she brought with her an entertainment center that has
drawers and a slide out video drawer.  Bo will work at this until either the
drawer or the video drawer are opened and attempts to crawl under the
center.  She yells at them and complains that they are scratching the hell
out of it.  I looked at the drawers and found no evidence of any scratches
from Bo opening it.  I have tried spraying the carpet in front of it with
some pet detterent, bitter apple spray, spraying Bo with water, etc.  Is
there anything that I can use or do to keep him from there?  Timeouts don't
work, telling him NO doesn't work.  Bo insists that he must have these
drawers open.  If I can't get him to stop he will have to be placed in
another home.

Any suggestions for keeping both of them trying to open doors.  They go to
any closed door and insist that they have to be open and scratch at the
bottoms of the doors or the sides and my SO and his daughter get upset at
this.  No matter if there is carpet or linoleum they scratch in front and at
the door.

I don't want to loose my boys because other people can't get along with
them.  I'm trying my best at educating them about them but they don't want
to take time with them.  They are my responsiblity.  I take care of them and
my SO will pet them and give them treats, etc.  But when his daughter goes
to him about the boys then it's another problem that comes between me and my
SO.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post.

Joyce
The Bad Boys
BO & TYE