From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 10:26:00 -0400
Ilena stated:

>Bat strain of rabies is the remaining issue at this point.  Some health
>officials are digging in their heels on a quarantine period until the study
>is done.  I understand the results should be out in October.  Hopefully this
>will be in time to change the Compendium on Animal Rabies Control to add
>quarantine period recommendations for ferrets.  And hopefully that will be
>the beginning of the end of the needless kill and test policies

I do hope so, however as this whole study has progressed I fear that before
public health accepts any of these studies we will see them propose studies
on wolves, rabbits, possum and every other creature in the out of doors
first!  I hate to be a pessimist, but this has been going on for far too
long-- and I have seen public health officials flaunt unsubstantiated
information on the ability to transit a rabies virus without any exposure.

What is even more ludicrous is that animals living outdoors horses for
example are not required to have rabies vacinations, if they bite someone
they are not destroyed for testing -- so what does that say about ferrets
who reside indoors, are never exposed to outdoors, and THEY are
sacrificed.????????

Perhaps we should study the brains of health dept. officials first!

Sorry if sound so bold, but this has been an exasperating 3 years or so--
with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Alicia
a ferret owner