From:
petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:47:00 -0500
Connie Martin posted:
>What is a Ferret DHLP as opposed to an annual DHLP?  The fuzzies are due
>for the ferret DHLP in December and the annual DHLP in March.  Why do they
>get two types of DHLP shots?  When I took Butch to the vet the other day
>they printed out appointment reminders for me and I have no idea what they
>are for.  The rabies is also scheduled for March, shouldn't I split the
>two shots into two visits?

I'm sure you'll get LOTS of mail about this <GRIN>.  Your ferrets do not
need a DHLP shot.  All they need is the D (for distemper) part.  It is
generally a good idea to have the rabies and distemper vaccines done at
different times in case of reactions.  THe USDA approved vaccines for
ferrets are Fervac-D for distemper and Imrab-3 for rabies, do not let your
vet give your poor ferrets a combo shot.  Not knowing how old your ferrets
are, I don't know why they would need two shots in 4 months.  Generally,
once they've had their 3-shot series as kits, they just need annual
boosters.

We had a friend whose ferret was always having reactions to being
vaccinated, and it was a mystery until one day she mentioned that her
ferret was allergic to the "L" part of the vaccine.  Then we verbally
beat her up a little bit and explained that her ferret didn't need all
the other stuff.

Kurt & Sara Petersen
FURRY (Ferrets Underfoot RUnning Round You)
http://members.igateway.net/~furry

Help raise money for the shelter!  Click on
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=5129