From:
"Charles Weiss D.V.M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 1994 20:43:00 -0500
Wendy and the clan:
>hair loss that started last winter then grew back. Now the hair loss is back
and getting worse.
>The patient (silk) is 7 and 1/2 yrs old and may have kidney problems
(urinating a lot)
>When are ferrets to old for adrenal tumor surgery?

The hair loss pattern and history of it growing back last season is
consistant with an adrenal tumor.  Adrenal gland tumors can also cause the
spleen to enlarge.  The enlarged spleen usually dosn't cause a problem unless
it is caused by something worse (lymphosarcoma).  Very rarely does the spleen
get so large (even though the cause is benign) that it puts pressure on the
other organs and causes tth ferret to feel ill.  We can determine if the
splenic enlargement is caused by cancer with a fine needle aspirate (this is
as easy as drawing blood.
As far as increased thirst and/or increased urination there are several
thingsthat can cause this (kidney infection, kidney failure, liver
failure/cancer, diabetes).  We can usually determine the cause with the help
of some tests ( urinalysis and a blood test).
Lastly (the hardest question to answer) when is a ferret to old/sick to do
surgery for an adrenal tumor.  This answer will vary from vet to vet
depending upon the particular doctors experiences and the skil of the
surgeon.  There is no set answer for this, it really depends upn the physical
exam and health of the patient.  If the patient has been diagnosed with
kidney failure, he/she will probably get sick form the kidneys before the
adrenal tumors cause that ferret discomfort.  Also with lymphosarcoma
depending on the stage I wold probably not recommend surgery.  But  remember
adrenal tumors can be malignant and if not removed can spread; and a fair
number of ferrets with adrenal tumors also have pancreatic tumors (but they
may not have symptoms of this yet) and the treatment for these are removal of
the pancreatic tumors at the same time we remove the adrenal tumors.  With
the anesthetics we have these days (namely isoflurane) surgery is pretty safe
so I feel most ferrets under 8 are good surgical candidates unless they have
a serious illness.
This is my opinion and although this question does not have one simple
answer, I hope this helps.  The bottom line is it depends on the condition
and bloodwork of each individual case.
Dr. Weiss
c [log in to unmask]
301-299-4142