Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:30:34 -0400
>From:    sukie crandall
>Canine Distemper, or Rabies -- either one -- is still worse than vaccine
>reactions.

My point is either not being made correctly by me, or is being ignored.
Reactions are probably the least of someone's concerns when giving
vaccines.  Overvaccinating has been linked to autoimmune problems, skin,
joint, digestive, etc etc etc problems.  That must be considered when
making the decision on how often to vaccinate.  Overvaccinating can
actually make the animal LESS protected against the disease if the
immune system is over assaulted.  Vaccines are an assault on the animal.
Vaccines bypass the defenses of the immune system.  They do stress the
sytem.  This needs to be taken into consideration.  That is why I have
said a number of times, it comes down to what risks a person is willing
to accept.  You can chose to vaccinate yearly, but know that there may be
consequences to that.  You may chose to do a different schedule, and
there may be consequences to that.  For me personally I have chosen to
not vaccinate again.  Distemper is out there I know.  But I personally
have decided that the risk of harm from overvaccinating has a much
greater chance of happening than them coming in contact with distemper.
I could risk there quality of life and continue to vaccinate for a
disease that they are less at risk for than vaccine damage, but I chose
not too.  That is my choice and I acknowledge the possible consequences
of it.

>This means that people need to know how serious the diseases are as
>well, how easily Canine Distemper can be contracted, and that unproven
>hypotheses can be left out because they aren't really a service to
>anyone.  Then people will MAKE UP THEIR OWN MINDS FOR THEMSELVES,
>which is the way it should be.

Yearly vaccinations are an uproven recommendation.  Let's not forget to
point that out.  There is no scientific evidence to back them up, and
evidence to the contrary.  As well as the damage that vaccines can do.
That has been acknowleged by the AVMA.  And I have stated that people
need to make up there own minds, so I hope you were capitalizing that
statement to reiterate that point, and not to put misconceptions on my
posts.

>I am sorry that your ferret did not do well after surgery and I don't
>know the particulars, but have you considered that perhaps something
>other than the vaccine was involved, esp.  since the treating vet
>apparently felt that it wasn't the vaccine?  As I've said before,
>including 2 days ago, I do NOT have our vaccinated when they have
>certain health problems; that includes being recently post-op in our
>household.  When a ferret isn't well we wait.

My point in mentioning that was because this was a very respected and
ferret knoweldgeable vet.  You had commented that we should listen (I
don't remember the exact wording used) to respected vets, so here was one
who couldn't even follow the vaccine mfgs directions in not vaccinating
an unhealthy animal, which my ferret clearly was.  At the time I had
never researched vaccinating and even I questioned giving him the shots.
It just didn't seem like a good idea to put stress on the body when it
was already dealing with something.  But he assured me that it would be
no problem.  This should of been a no brainer decision.  I never
considered that the vaccines may have contributed the downhill of my
ferret til a few years later when I started looking into vaccines in
general.  Most vets will never admit that a vaccine can cause harm.  They
will put fear into you that the diseases are around every corner just
waiting and your pet will surely die if you do not continue to vaccinate
per their protocol which is based on no scientific evidence.  Yes, that
is possible, but at least lets put all the facts out there and not just
some of them.  Only then can someone make an informed decision, whatever
that may be.

I realize that I am probably in the minority here, and that's fine.  I at
least show ALL the possibilities that could happen.  On this issue I have
usually only seen one side shown here.

  ~Amy~