From:
jennifer hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 04:34:46 -0500
Hi all,

It is ridiculous I think for Petsmart to be selling ferrets.  For one,
they won't be much better than Petco about their sale of ferrets I am
sure.  I bought my first two ferrets from Petco, and they "had no idea
what breeder they came from" (the certificate I got with them didn't say
either), had no information to give me, but instead referred me to books
they sold, and obviously didn't socialize them.  My first ferret (I got
the second a month later) was sweet, well, more likely stressed out, he
slept on my lap the first night and has never since.  I didn't know what
kind of diet was best, I didn't know what kind of bedding was best, I
didn't know that they end up with all kinds of health issues, and even
after learning these things, no thanks to them, I'm up to 7 ferrets-
loving it and teaching others about ferrets.  Two more bought at a mall
pet store who cared even worse for them (which is why I took them when I
was strapped for cash), one at another mall's pet store (he was lonely
by himself), and two more from a rescue (quite possibly the sweetest of
my 7.)

I recently went into another Petco (I moved and so changed stores), and
asked to hold the ferrets, not that I could afford any more, but I wanted
to see if they seemed socialized, and I wanted to make sure that they got
at least a few minutes out of their aquarium like cage.  They bit and
people walking by asked about them, and the employee volunteered very
little information, so I told them about phases as a kit, and when they
asked about life span and such I educated them on different and expensive
diseases that they can get, but I also told them what a joy they can be
and told them that there are tons of rescues with ferrets who aren't old
and sick, some young ones, and some a bit older that don't nip...(these
people had kids, and I figured it had to be better than Petco, and at
least they could get better education at a shelter, and be screened
before taking in a ferret).  The employee just looked at me.  The manager
came up to me to thank me for playing with the ferrets and told me that
they have a ferret club that comes in every week to play with them.  So
I left.  I wonder just how much more Petsmart will be able to educate
people.  I agree, they should have the same policy that they have for
cats and dogs.

Jennifer