From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 16:48:09 -0500
Edward Lipinsky suggests never kissing a ferret on the first date...er,
never kissing a ferret that once belonged to an HIV+ individual.  I did a
medline search on FERRET, FERRETS, HIV, AIDS, ANIMAL MODELS, and various
combinations, but came up with no information regarding both ferrets and
HIV.  I did find some information regarding HIV and pets, but it is not the
kind of scaremongering sensationalism that you were looking for, Edward.
Almost all of it regards precautions the HIV+ person should take when owning
the pet and the possible risks to that person.  Here is the only abstract
out of thousands and thousands of articles that mentions HIV transmission by
pets.  Enjoy..

Sax P  Weinberger H
HIV and family living. Preventing the spread of HIV and other diseases.
   [Additional information: ABSTRACT ONLINE, ADDRESS]
In: AIDS Clin Care (1995 Oct) 7(10):83-4

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that there is no
evidence that dogs, cats or non-primate animals can contract the human
immunodeficiency virus (HIV) or transmit it to human beings.  When the
immune system is suppressed through disease, age, or medical treatments, a
person becomes more vulnerable to infections.  Pets Are Wonderful Support
(PAWS) has developed guidelines for having pets.  Proper pet selection,
proper pet care and good personal hygiene of the owner can eliminate almost
any possible risk a pet poses.  New pets pose more of a health risk because
health history and vaccination records are usually not known.  Adult pets
are often safer, and are less likely to be involved in playful activities
that include biting and scratching.  There is a slim chance of contracting
toxoplasmosis from cats, but certain precautions can minimize risk.  Annual
veterinarian examinations are recommended to keep vaccinations current.  The
CDC does not recommend keeping a cat with feline leukemia virus or feline
immunodeficiency virus since these diseases can make the cat more
susceptible to other illnesses which can be passed on to a person with a
compromised immune system.  Turtles and birds are not recommended since they
may harbor diseases.  Several services are available to pet owners and are
listed in the article.

-Catherine and
Sebastian "Watch me!  I'm rolling and rolling and rolling..." and
Mortimer "What's an Oral Engulfment?  Can I do it with my duckie?" and
Mithril "Gimme a kiss.  Come on, just a little one?  I loooove you.CHOMP"