From:
Krista Templeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 13:44:12 -0700
okay, this is my first time posting here so bear with me....First of all
I am a proud Mom of three beautiful ferrets.  My oldest is my "baby", a 2
year old female blaze, she was the first and really loves to be cuddled
and held, where as the other two keep to themselves and are more drawn
to their Dad.

Well last night I had my first experience with this "coma-like sleep"...
very scary!  I had read about it before and knew in the back of my mind
that it happens but when it did, my mind went blank.  Buddy was asleep in
my arms for a while and when I picked her up she didn't move, stretch,
yawn, nothing....I started calling her name, still no response, I gave
her to my boyfriend in a panic, as he was sat next to me.  He took her
while I completely panicked saying she was dead, needless to say I was on
the kitchen floor sobbing like crazy when Buddy walked over and crawled
in my lap, looking at me like I was a fool.  While I was hysterical, she
had woken up.....it took me a few minutes to register what had happened.
I went to my "ferrets for dummies" book and looked up excessive sleeping
and found out, what I already knew, that it was completely normal.  I am
still however very shaken up over it.  I know, I must sound like a way
too overly protective Mom, but it scared the heck out of me!  I honestly
thought she was dead.  I guess what I'm looking for is some reassurance
from a more experienced ferret owner who has been through this before,
I'm even still scared to pick her up incase it happens again.

Thanks,
Krista Templeman
Calgary, Canada