Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 06:29:15 -0500
Hi all,

I've been reading a lot of posts about allergies to ferrets lately.  I
have some advise, from personal experience, for people with allergies.

I take a daily dose of Alegra and use an ointment made for Rosecea for
out breaks.  ( I was initially diagnosed with Rosecea)  I also make sure
I wash thoroughly every single time I play with my ferrets.  I even take
a bottle of hand sanitizer with me in my purse so if I visit the local
shelter or pet store I can clean up right away.

Understand please, I am severely allergic.  My ferret Little Bit (at the
bridge) made me break out with in minutes of touching her.  Maybe because
she was adrenal?  (this is kinda gross so don't read if you have a weak
stomach)  My face gets these huge weeping crusty sores that itch like the
devil, then my eyes swell shut when I don't use my meds.  But allergies
can be controlled, so don't give up your fuzzies without at least trying.
Although IMO if there is a respiratory element you might not want to try.

I now have 3 ferret, and although my hubby thinks I'm nuts, I would
have tons more and the allergy be darned.  It's up to each person to
decide what they are willing to put up with.  This is just offered as
a suggestion that there are alternatives to finding new homes if you
have an allergy.

Shelley