From:
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:47:34 -0700
>From:    Glenn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MAR,Inc.

MAR, Inc?  Okay...

>>This same gentleman and his wife escaped a defamation suit from us for the
>>most of same reasons.
>
>This is nothing more than another bullet hole through the messenger, but it
>does shed a little light as to why you identify so closely with MAR.

Yes we identify with those that have been unfairly written and spoken about.

People ask why Marshall doesn't respond to the charges.  How could Marshall
Farms defend themselves when the reaction might well be like Glenn's?  If
Marshall was to defend themselves they would have to point out that the
author of those libeous articles was lying; that is here described as a
"bullet hole" in the one defending himself.  This highly agitated approach
ruins all chance of reaching the real truth.

>What of the other MAR stories?  Do they all come from unreliable, biased
>poor people?

What other stories?

We nearly all agree that we would like for Marshall and other ferret ranches
to stop shipping ferrets so young.  There is some controversy about early
altering.  It does prevent complete normal development but it also prevents
many deaths through aplastic anemia.  That isn't what is being debated
though.

Basicly all of horrifying the abuse stories started with one source.

>Nothing changes for 80,000 little ferrets each year.  They will continue
>to suffer in silence because of man's greed.  Perhaps some day an advanced
>society will see a ferret kit as a one of God's miracles instead of a $
>sign.

Well in our opinion things have changed greatly over the years for the
ferret kits shipped from Marshall Farms and other ranches and the kits
from private breeders as well.

More people are becoming more educated on ferrets.  All breeders,  all
organizations, all shelters and in fact many "regular" owners like those
on this ond other internet lists and newsgroups are responsible.  More
knowledge of ferrets is getting out there.  It hasn't reached everyone yet
but its getting better.

Much medical research - we have to give Marshall a lot of the credit here
and some other breeders - is being accomplished.  Not as much as we'd like
perhaps.

Many clinical improvements in ferret care - here credit is to a number of
veterinarians and to those of us who help them though our careful
observations of our ferrets and other assistance.

Bob Church's articles point out problems in the feeding of ferrets but over
the years it has gotten better for ferrets.  Twenty years ago ferrets were
largely fed cheap cat food.  Kibbled food may be problematic still but we
are quite sure Totally Ferret is better for ferrets than "Purina Cat Chow".

Housing for ferrets gets better.  Laws pertaining to ferrets get better.
Treatment by health departments gets better.  Yes we have a ways to go yet
but it is inarguably better now than even five years ago.

Marshall Farms has been a part of most of these gains.  Not solely but they
have contributed.  So has Path Valley.  So has nearly every breeder, shelter
or ferret owner.

Lets drop the Johnny one note harping on Marshall and take a balanced look
at the whole picture.  Marshall has problems.  They are NOT Satan on Earth.
We agree with Sharon Pease's assessment "In my opinion, they would be more
quick to address an issue if it were presented in a reasonable manner".

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]