From:
Susie Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:05:53 -0600
This is Susie Lee of the CLOSED for over two years' Ferret & Dove
Sanctuary, Inc.

I still get occasional calls from people looking either for adopting or
more often for turning in a shelter animal, usually ferrets, sometimes
also others like guinea pigs or rabbits. For an up-to-date "listing" I
tell them all to go to http://www.petfinder.org and enter their local
zip code and what kind of critter they're looking "for" where that is
indicated on the opening page, then it will bring up the persons and-OR
shelters from those closest to them on-out. there IS also a search
feature on petfinder for JUST shelters. This is a good resource,
though there is no such thing as a perfect one, because in order to
be a member to post your animals or birds for adoption a licensed
veterinarian or animal hospital must INDEPENDANTLY vouch for you or
your shelter that your animals or birds are medically seen-to.

Of course, my own has been closed and I have that prominently along
the top of my page ON the petfinder, but it is a very good referral
resource for quickly finding MOST shelters nearest to any given
location!

Here is my own "other" page which is a memorial both for the Sanctuary
and also for my late husband who was president-CEO of it and happier
with helping animals than with any other work he ever did (he mentioned
this often when alive). ((lots of pics for those who like pics of cute
critters ))
http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/ferret_rescuer/index.html