From:
Melissa Lough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 08:38:19 -0400
Hello everyone, first I want to thank all of you who have inquired about
Scooter.  He is getting along great as far as his hip problem.  He has
started to walk some what; his knees are still together but he does use
his legs and feet to walk.  When he gets real excited he will hop along
about as fast as any ferret and you can't hardly tell he has a problem.
We are having some problems though with diarrhea.

When I first got him he didn't have diarrhea, his poops were fine; so
when he did get it I figured it was due to stress or change of food.
Well the vet gave him wormer and some amoxi.  A couple of days off the
amoxi the diarrhea started up again; which is very smelly.  The vet put
him back on it for a couple of weeks.  Again a few days after his last
dose he started again.  Also instantly it will cause him to get raw along
the legs, bum and under side of his tail.  When he gets this way one of
my other male ferrets will attack him.  I have been giving him a little
bit of Sweet potato baby food for this.  Instead of better it seems to be
getting worse; the diarrhea is almost all watery and mucus.  He's still
eating and drinking and I have started giving him .5cc of Imodium liquid;
which has firmed up to poops some.  (not watery or mucusy) He is eating
Zupreem ferret food along with me feeding him chicken baby food and I
have been giving him pedialyte in his water.  Has anyone else had this
problem?  Like I've said before the vets around here (WV) are not very
ferret knowledgeable; the vet is reading up on diseases of ferrets and
said we would have to try something else.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Missy (owned by Knicko, Buster, Bistsy, Keisha and Scooter)