From:
Melanie Hough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 10:13:32 -0400
About two hours ago I had a great scare.  I had taken my 2 yr old MF boy,
Cassidy, to a friends house to eat dinner.  He was checking things oiut as
he usually does and suddenly he jumped back and I thought he was sneezing.
When he did this for more than a second, I picked him up and saw that his
mouth was hanging open and he was drooling a great deal.  I looked at him
for a second and he looked as if he was choking or something.  My friend and
I rushed out the door with him in a panick.  I forgot the car keys so my
friend went back inside to get them and suddenly Cassidy perked up and
closed his mouth and started acting normal.  We looked in the floor where he
had freaked out and there was a wasp lying there barely alive.  My friend
had sprayed a wasp nest outside with pesticide a few days ago so this wasp
may have been covered in it and gotten into the house.  I checked Cassidy
carefully and couldn't find any indication that he was stung.  The only
thing I can think of is that maybe he inhaled a noseful of the pesticide and
almost choked.  I called the emergency vet and she said that as long as he
was acting normal and there was no swelling she thinks he is okay.  He seems
fine two hours later but I'm still a little scared because I don't know
exactly what caused this episode.  I'm 99% positive it was related to the
wasp but I'm not sure how if he wasn't stung.  Does anyone have any idea
what could've caused this?  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Could this
be something serious that I'm not aware of or am I just paranoid?  Thanks,
Melanie