From:
Kirsten Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 18:52:42 -0500
Dooks and Giggles to All-

I earlier wrote:
>P.S. The formula with the water/rubbing alcohol/dish washing soap worked
>for my problem.  I had little fruit flies and couldn't find out where they
>were coming from, so i tried the recipe to get rid of fleas and every time
>i checked them (morning then night), there would be at least 5 more bugs
>in the bowl, i just kept adding more rubbing alcohol when the water level
>went down.  I don't have a problem any more and it's been about a week.
>thanks whoever for the advice.  They were EVERYWHERE and driving me
>nuts...i''m up to 65 (don't ask why i count, i don't know)

Since I've been getting a ton of mail concerning this, I've decided to
re-submit the recipe (which is not by me).  For the control of fleas,
fruit flies, gnats, and ants apparently, atleast that's all i've caught
so far in mine.

The writer said "they've used this for years and it works extremely well:

take a soup bowl and fill it 3/4 with water, add one tablespoon of liquid
dish soap and fill the rest with rubbing alcohol.  Before you go to bed,
put this in a high traffic area and set a desk lamp over it to illuminate
the bowl.  You will be surprised at the number of fleas you will have in
the bowl in the morning.  Doing this over the course of several days in
each area will rid you of fleas".

I've found that placing it under a bright light (like a lamp) so as to
heat the solution, and attract the bugs, makes it work better.  My bug
fatality rate was up to 65.  My problem went away only a couple of days
after using this method.  My problem was fruit flies, but as mentioned i
caught a lot more than just those in the bowl.  Hope this helps anyone
who needs it.  = )

-Kirsten, Teddy and Rugsby