Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 01:29:57 -0500
Hi Jennifer,

I've only seen actual green pee once in 11 years of sheltering- with
owning companions ferrets for 4 years prior to sheltering.  I'm not
counting the adrenal males- sometimes adrenal ferrets don't show
visible symptoms- but adrenal males have the problem of developing an
enlarged prostrate, which then blocks or constricts the ureter- causing
bladder infections (and sometimes prostrate infections), which results
in a yellow or green discharge from the male's penis. Blockage and
infections might not be noticed until the ferret is straining to
urinate, or worse.

The one time I actually saw green pee was a very sad situation.  A
friend had her dog suddenly snatch up a free-roaming ferret- it was
only for a second, and she didn't think any serious damage had been
done- no external injuries.  She didn't have the funds to take the
ferret to an emergency clinic- this happened on a Sunday- but within
6-7 hours she arrived at my house in tears, with a limp ferret in her
arms.  He had green urine on his white underbelly.  He died in her
arms 5 minutes after arriving.  She did not have a necropsy done.

This does not sound like your situation at all.  Hopefully your ferret
just snuck off and drank a bit of Mountain Dew.  Do you by chance use
vitadrops in your ferret's water? I always put white paper towels in
the bottom of the litter box and cage to see exactly what's coming out
if I think there's odd poop or pee.

And Ed, for heavens sake- you've been an FMLer for quite some time-
you must really like flames or be really bored to post your recent
stuff.  But Fleet Enemas for ear cleaning? Do you think that ferrets
have...ummm...sh*t for brains? Or have you just been watching too
many of those disgusting, descriptive colon cleansing infomercials?

And the last time I looked, ferrets don't have thick, gunky earwax
plugs. Earmites? Sure. Yeast infections from earmites? Yup.

How about just a good 'ole q-tip? And I am not even going to ask how
you know that earwax is bitter- but then again, you might be REALLY
bored. Trust me. There are better things to eat.

Oh, and by the way, my Dad is a retired otolaryngologist As in Ear,
nose and throat. I worked in his office off & on for years. He never
used a Fleet enema for those 1-2 inch "bitter", solid wax plugs.

By the way, I think that the Fleet enemas sold here in Virginia are for
the good, 'ole people size rectum. Do your ferrets have human butt-hole
size ear canals?

Ooops, that might be your ear hole size- 'Cause surely some of these
innocent readers think you must have poopie for brains.  God Bless you-
And please, don't eat the yellow ear wax.  If you must eat something
gross- they do make gummy rats, gummy bugs, gummy boogers...

I couldn't resist.

Marlene Blackburn
Director
Richmond Ferret Rescue League