From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 15:37:59 -0500
Q: "I heard you say [at Ferrets 2002 Symposium] it was safe for ferrets
to eat chicken bones...and now there has been a long discussion on the
FML you have yet to respond to.  Are you sure there is no risk?"

A: You're axis me to talk about bones?  At-las I have a bone fide
problem to talk about that I love!  Have I bone to heaven, or has my
spongy, lunate-tic brain gone wacky and I am temporal-ly insane?  Are
you facing the frontal to maxilla-mize your view?  Ok, sit bacula bit,
and I'll reach into my cranial vault to pull out some information that
will scratch that intellectual ischium on your scalp-ula and attempt to
malleus your mind.  I'll try not to be too humerus, and I won't fibula
even a tiny bit--not even to put a positive spine on the subject.  So,
just keep your shin up and I'll talus you about my frequently
osteophagous ferrets.  I might rib you a bit, but it won't costae you a
cent.  I'll try to make this as compacta as possible, and I promise not
give you the shaft.  And, please don't carpal on about the puns, even if
they put you out of joint.  Even if you had a phalanx of complaints, your
articulations won't make any difference; they will just be a waste of
good paper and incus, and I'll continue to lumbar along.  I can't help
myself; I'm just a bonehead skulled in osteology (that last one deserved
a patella on the back...).

Introducing the Problem:

This question came up several times during the last week as I visited
several FML members, and I understand it has been the subject of several
recent FML posts (which I am skipping until later so I don't bias this
series).  Everyone seems to have an opinion on this question, but there
is actually little published research supporting either side--other than
the vast number of indirect inferences discussed at great length in
zoological, paleontological, and zooarchaeological publications.  Indeed,
entire volumes have been published on how to distinguish bones gnawed,
consumed, digested, and eliminated by carnivores from those discarded
after human consumption.  I have presented and published scientific
papers on the very subject and do active research on bone eating.
Consequently, I have amassed an extensive collection of bones chewed,
digested and eliminated from a host of carnivores, including mink, small
and large cats, various canine species, humans, and, of course, polecats,
feral ferrets, and pet ferrets (ferret scat stops being gross after you
have dug bone out of tiger poo).  Bone does not lie for those that can
read its unique language, and the text of the message is that carnivores
are DESIGNED to eat bones.  With very few exceptions, ALL carnivores eat
bones; they have special adaptations to safely do so, they have the
desire to do so, and bone is an important aspect of their natural
(evolutionary) diet.

During Ferrets 2002, the question of ferrets eating bone came up during a
questioning period, and in my answer advocating feeding bones to ferrets,
I emphasized the lack of SPECIFIC published research supporting either
position.  Afterwards, at the urging of a ferret vet, I started a serious
investigation of bone eating by ferrets and other carnivores, with the
ultimate goal of journal publication.  I am currently writing that paper,
and feel confident enough about the research to review some of the
findings with members of the FML.  Because the paper falls into the
purview of intellectual property, as well as the difficulty of publishing
material that has been released into the public domain, I cannot and will
not report some of the specifics and numeric data, nor release
references--you will simply have to wait until the paper undergoes peer
review and publication.  HOWEVER, if a reader has a LEGITIMATE reason for
such information, I will happily make a draft copy of the paper available
on a case-by-case basis, with a "do not cite, copy, release, disclose,
redistribute, or post without permission of the author" caveat.

Understand, this is a review of the benefits and dangers of bone eating,
not a short answer.  It will take some time to post in its entirety.
Anyone can give a short opinion, and many do, but the reader, sans
evidence, is left with the unenviable task of determining which opinion
has more value than others.  Explanations in depth are rarely short, but
they do provide considerable insight into the problem, giving the reader
tools to decide the issue for themselves.  It is not my goal to change
anyone's opinions; I wouldn't if I could.  Rather, I simply hope people
think about what they read, and use these posts to decide this issue for
themselves.  I will do my best not to manipulate emotion to make a point,
allowing the facts to speak for themselves.  I suggest FMLers read these
posts, and especially the replies, with a wary eye.  It is important to
understand (and remember!) neither "possibilities" nor "potentialities"
are actual evidence, "fear" is not verification, "dogs have problems"
is not proof of problems in ferrets, "my vet said it was dangerous"
may be nothing more than an opinion, and simply shouting "it is ONLY
a hypothesis" does NOT disprove the one being offered.  When being
offered anecdotal evidence, ask for specific details so the story can be
confirmed or that multiple reports are recognized as a single occurrence.
Reject ANY anecdote that cannot be independently confirmed, even if from
a vet; you can never tell if it is true.  Above all, THINK for yourself!

Bob C