From:
Phyl Spy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:03:07 -0500
I have been making chicken gravy for my kids for about 6 months now.  I
have found that if I cook the chicken in a Crock Pot for 12 - 14 hours,
most of the bones are soft enough to mash with your fingers and the
blender seems to take care of the 4 leg bones that are 1/4 still intact.

I have found that the trick is to start the chicken cooking at night and
it will be ready by late morning or early afternoon the next day for the
final stage of blending and storing in freezer.

I will add this one personal observation - after blending my first batch,
I looked at this thick pink liquid in the bowl and thought to myself -
this was a CHICKEN!  Ferrets in the wild would find, kill and eat it as
is.  But not my kids... they have to have it slaughtered, cleaned, cut in
sections, boiled for 14 hours, blended and then - and only then will they
touch it!

However, they love it and I love watching them devour it as I know that
it is so good for them and they look wonderful from having it as a
supplement to their regular diet of "kibbles de jour" (they have a buffet
in their cage of several high quality ferret foods and each day it is
funny to see which kibble was the choice for the day).

Phyllis M. Spy
Massachusetts Ferret Friends, Inc.
A non-profit organization dedicated to education, outreach and shelter to
benefit the domestic ferret