From:
Lisette Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:57:36 EDT
Hi guys.

Could someone out there write why Angora ferrets are bad?

You cannot breed two Angoras together and expect the female to give milk
to her babies?  I did not understand that.  I just saw the most beautiful
animal.  It was an Angora ferret.  I have too many rescues to be buying
an Angora.  But I surely melted all over holding one and looking at it.
Charlie...you are a dream.

Carolina Ferrets:

I read what the person from Carolina Ferrets wrote ..she is not in favor
of laws protecting baby ferrets under 8 weeks old from being sold because
she did not feel any enforcement was possible.  I read that before any
questions came up, and was honestly confused.  But I realize I am
ignorant when it comes to raising and selling ferrets...utterly ignorant.

So, I would like to thank all the writers asking polite questions of
Carolina Ferrets very much.  And I thank the lady answering the questions
also.  As some of you might remember...I do not like Marshall Farms, and
have written why in some detail years ago.

So here is a chance to see if we have a ferret farm that is doing the
right things.  Would that not be truly thrilling?  ( let us face it...not
everyone is going to take a shelter ferret, and we would all like whoever
is raising and selling ferrets to be doing things humanely, ethically,
and with the health of the ferrets in mind).

Please...let us keep the questions as polite as they have been, and
learn.  I know many have shelters, and they are overwhelmed.  But this
cannot close our eyes to the possibility that we have a breeder here who
is keeping the ferrets in a healthy and stimulating environment, and
raising kits that are not inbred or deaf, or prone towards illness, etc.

I really look forward to learning if we have a breeder here on this list
that is concerned about the ferrets and understands all the complex
issues of breeding out genes that are not healthy.

There must be a staff of people working there if there are 150 ferrets.
If anyone working there is on this list, maybe they could tell us a bit
about their day?  Lots of poopie cleaning to be sure.  But how do the
ferrets all get out to the play area during the day?  what happens when
ferrets are mating and the male is not letting go of the female and she
looks exhausted?  What kind of kibble are you using?  Are there liter
boxes?  If not..what do you use?

How do you know when the babies are old enough to go to a forever home?
How do you keep track of everyone?  Do you name all the babies?  Do they
get tattoed?  Who performs the surgeries?  Who interviews the people who
come for their baby?  Is there a pre-interview so the person does not
drive all the way there just to be turned away?

Is there a hospital like area for the old, or sick ones that need meds?
How long are the ferrets living for as far as you know?  Would you sell a
whole ferret so the person could do a late neuter and keep the ferret
healthier?

Thank You.

ON THE HOME FRONT
I have the big boy who was found in a garage.  I named him Biscuit, since
he was found eating a dog biscuit.  He is a big gorgeous pink/ golden boy
with dark gold legs and white feet, white face and white bib..

He has learned to run through tubes, climb up on the bed, and play fight.
He sleeps in my arms, and gives kisses.  Just a sweet silly gentle boy.
I am going to see if I can get him to live in the same house as Mini-Me.
I bonded with him, and he has bonded with me.  And the sanctuary just
took in a few more rascals that did not have a home.

Of all the racoons...only one remains.  There were a good dozen at the
beginning of the summer.  Then we got down to 3.  Mom was hit by a car a
few weeks ago.  One of the two babies was then found on the road dead
last week..  Now there is just one baby born late that is still alive.  I
do not know how it will survive.

The feral cats are still hanging in there.They are all still alive and
eating AD cat food, whole chicken, and Iams kitten food, and hopefully
will live on the porch again this winter..