From:
Shelby Kimura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:34:01 -0700
Perhaps what vet schools need to be aware of is that there are NUMEROUS
ferret owners (and therefore, vet clinic clients) out there who strongly
promote the addition of ferrets into the vet school curriculum.  Do
remember however, that other small exotic pet (cavies, sugar gliders,
hedgehogs, for example) owners or large exotic pet owners (donkeys,
goats, alpacas, for example) feel the same way.  For everything we have
to learn, we already learn on five species (pig, dog, cow, sheep, &
horse).  There simply is not time to learn everything about every
animal!!  Notice that we don't even learn anything about cats, we are to
extrapolate on what we learn about dogs!

I agree that a basic knowledge (in the very least) on many of the common
pets should be essential.  One idea would be to offer extracurricular
activities such as videos or optional web based programs/courses to vet
students.  The University of Melbourne is quite good at encouraging us
to develop personal electronic portfolios in our particular areas of
interest.  In addition one prof holds weekly "case study" sessions before
the start of classes where she features a particular patient that has
recently been in the university hospital and students can work through a
diagnosis of these animals while learning quite a bit at the same time!
These sessions are very popular despite their early start time so I don't
see why a video featuring a unique surgical technique or a specific
species related medical issue would be any different.  Additionally,
seminars are held by vets throughout the community and sponsored by
the student run special interest clubs.  For example, the wildlife
appreciation group (WAG) sponsors seminars by zoo vets.  Such seminars
could easily be organized by one student at a vet school and a willing
vet in the area.

I will say this, my group of vet school friends will certainly know more
than the average vet student!!  They are now starting to ask me specific
medical questions related to ferrets; I think I've peaked their interest!

Time to study now....

Shelby "Chub" Kimura
not a vet...yet.

MY NOTES:
BREEDS
Albino and "fitch" = buff with black mask, feet, and tail

HOUSING
*sexes housed separately (*note: usually not desexed in Australia)
*gregarious - housed in groups except at breeding season (esp. males)
*solid bottom caging with shavings and a nest box to sleep in
*do not require a "run" or to be housed outside, but will enjoy a chance
 to investigate an area
*(she correctly mentioned that they can be trained to use a litter, and
 can be fed from a bowl or plate, and water from a sipper bottle or bowl)

NUTRITION
*carnivorous
*nutritional requirements not exactly known, presumed to be similar to
 cat and mink
*can be fed cat food and table scraps once or twice daily

HANDLING
*friendly animals which can be trained to accept handling
*can bite in unfamiliar surroundings, when frightened, or when they have
 a litter
*lift by grasping around shoulders with thumb under ferret's chin
*gloves can be used by unfamiliar handlers

In a blood cross matching immunology class we got a statement in our
notes about how the blood groups in small animals like ferrets "have
not been extensively studied and their clinical significance remains
unknown."