From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:17:42 -0500
Our Lupron came in.  Our pharmacist packaged it in individual 100 mcg
premixed 1 cc syringes.  Storage requires a regular refrigerator.  Our
vet is making the Lupron available to others.  Cost is $10/syringe with a
minimum order of 5 doses.  Shipping is FedEx overnight and already included
in the cost.

If you and your vet are interested, please have them contact our vet:
Dr. Larry Snyder University Animal Clinic Topeka KS 785-233-3185

Larry is not in the clinic on Wednesdays and he normally does surgeries in
the mornings so afternoons are the best times to reach him.  He is in the
clinic on Thursdays till 7 pm, and Mon-Tues-Fri till 5.  We are on Central
time.  Larry is good about returning calls so if he is not available, have
your vet leave his/her name, clinic, and phone number and time available
and he'll return the call.  If your vet hasn't heard back from him within
24 hours, please call again and if Larry is not available ask to speak to
one of the techs and leave your message with her.  The techs will make sure
he gets the message.

We gave our first injections a couple weeks ago.  If we do not see a
response by the end of June, the second injection will be 200 mcg (2
syringes).  So far the ferrets have seemed to calm down a bit.

Larry talked to Dr. Weiss and Dr. Weiss was concerned the 100 mcg dose may
be too low and recommended going to 200 mcg if the ferrets didn't respond.

Please note that Lupron doesn't stop the growth of the adrenal but may stop
clinical symptoms.  For ferrets that are not good surgical candidates
Lupron may give them back a good quality of life.

For healthy ferrets, surgery with a ferret knowledgable vet would be the
best course.  When Adrenal growths are not removed, they can grow large
enough to encompass the kidney(s) or attach and invade other organs (liver,
pancreas, spleen).  For those that cannot afford the cost of surgery,
Lysodren may be a consideration.  For more information on Lysodren you
can do a search on the FML archives
(http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?S1=ferret-search) or the FAIML
achives (http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC/).

Hugs to all. tle