From:
"Gustafson, Barb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 14:52:11 -0600
I was very touched by the responses I received after my posting about
Tasha, Coco and Georgie.  Thank you to all those who responded with such
kind words of support and encouragement.

We've been very thankful in the past to be the recipients of several
donations from FML members thanks to those wonderful people who create and
maintain the shelter list.  One FML member in particular, Marie Smith,
keeps our rescues supplied with warm and cozy hammocks and toys.  Thanks to
her, every ferret we receive gets his/her very own hammie and stuffie which
is theirs to keep forever.  I don't know what we'd do without her support.

Today I've decided that in return for all your kindness and support I'm
going to do my utmost to keep you all informed on what's happening within
our Society.

I'll start with an update on Georgie, our fangless wonder boy with the
metal tag in his ear.  Georgie is now off the lost and found list and has
joined the ranks of adoptables.  He's doing well in his foster home and is
now romping and playing with their own two ferrets.  I'm confident that
he'll be placed soon.

Taz is finally on the road to recovery.  Taz and Bandit were surrendered
because Taz has medical problems.  When we arrived to collect them we found
them living in the basement in a converted shower stall.  The pads of their
feet were thick with calluses from running on the cement floor.  Taz has a
golf ball sized abscess on the side of her jaw and appeared to be adrenal.
We decided to treat the abscess first so the next day she is off to the
vets to have the abscess removed then into foster care for recovery.  Two
weeks later we get a frantic call from the foster family.  Taz is bleeding
from the mouth, so off to emergency we go.  Taz has a ruptured ulcer in the
roof of her mouth.  Medication and special diet follow.  Three weeks later
the vets says she is doing well enough to proceed with the adreanl surgery
except he is surprised to find that she has a large tumor on her liver and
no adrenal at all.  Off it goes for testing.  Results: Benign.  Now, three
more weeks later Taz is finally starting to behave as a ferret should.

Three ferrets have been adopted this week.  Cinder, Chance and Nova have
found new homes.

I'll post more again soon....we've had a some newbies come in this week
that I'd like to tell you about Drop by our web page to see more
adoptables.

Barb Gustafson
Alberta Ferret Society
President