From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 10 May 1994 08:38:24 -0400
To Andre of Furo Mon Ami:

>Is it true that they can fall in an unrecoverable coma or anaemia ? Is there a
>relation between that situation and the food ?

>All the ferrets have between 2 and 5 years old and are in very good shape.

        I read your problem with interest.  Someone is giving you bad
information - ferrets will NOT fall into unrecoverable coma or anemia due to
handling.  Excitement does ther same to ferrets as it does to people - it wears
them out. 3-4 hours of activity is a TREMENDOUS amount for a ferret.  They are
just exhausted.

        I don't think it is even a problem with food.  If it was one animal, I
might consider insulinoma, but 4/6 pretty much eliminates that possibility.

        In future shows, you might do better to have more animals, and limit
their exposure to 60-90 minutes at a time.  Even though the may seem used to it,
or enjoy it, handling by strangers is stressful to many ferrets, and their
systems need some time to recuperate.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000