From:
Mustela Putorious <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2007 19:31:46 -0700
I have this old bath tub behind my little cottage. Every once in a
while I like to soak in the tub. I have to carry water by the bucketful
until the tub is filled. Quite a workout, and once the tub is filled
the reward is very satisfying, after all, it takes me over an hour to
fill the darn thing. Last night I decided to have myself a nice bath.

Now, not all ferts take to water. Some of us love it, others hate it
and still others are actually afraid of it. Well, not me! I love a
bath or a nice swim, it energizes me and feels great!

As I sat in my lukewarm tub I thought of all the ferts I have greeted
at The Bridge. I don't like to play favorites as they are all special
to me in their own unique ways. But I think I am the saddest when a kit
crosses over. Simply because they didn't get to have enough time on
Earth to truly enjoy the wonderment of living with human 'beans'. By
the same token, I am happiest at bridge crossings when I greet an elder
fert who has been very very sick on Earth, because when they crossover
they are renewed in mind, body and spirit. And it is such an amazing
transformation to behold. This job is never boring, that's for sure.

Today I am meeting Kolby at The Rainbow Bridge. Kolby was a sick fert
and his Mom and Dad did the very best they could to take care of him.
I have a little while before Kolby arrives so I have been looking for
his fert friends who are already up here, Zoe and George...I seem to
remember that they have been living at the Newbie Dorms. Some ferts
arrive and intend to stay at the Dorms for a short time, but realize
they enjoy being there so they move in on a permanent basis. Which is
fine, as long as there is always room for newcomers.

As I approach the Newbie Dorms I see a group of youngish ferts putting
together a soccer scrimmage. Apparently they are having some difficulty
choosing sides, and a few of them have engaged in a wrestling match.
Hot-headed youngsters!

One big young fert has assumed the leadership role, he breaks up the
wrestling ferts and reminds them they are there to play soccer.

I think I might watch them for a few minutes because I am almost
certain that one of them is George. There are a few lawn hammies set
up on the sidelines for 'spectators' [lovingly referred to as 'taters'
by sports-ferts] so I settle in and watch the game play. A few other
'taters' like myself have showed up and joined me on the sidelines. As
I look over the field I am sure now that I do see George out there. But
I haven't seen Zoe anywhere.

The 'taters' are cheering on their favorite players and I can hear
someone shouting for George to 'Kick That Ball!' 'Kick That Ball!'
so I turn to look behind me and lo and behold, who do I see?? Zoe!

I relinquish my coveted lawn hammie and move to the back where Zoe is.
I smile and attempt to introduce myself, "Hi! Are you Zoe?" She smiles
and nods her head, then screams at George again. "Come On G!!! Kick
That Ball!!"

"My name is Musty Pete. I am a Bridge Greeter and I am greeting one of
your earth-friends today. A fert named Kolby." I said.

She stops yelling at George for as moment and asks "Oh, poor Kolby. He
was sick for quite a while. When will he be here?" Zoe asks.

"In a little more than an hour, I wondered if you'd like to go to The
Bridge with me to meet Kolby." I asked, adding, "George can come with
us too."

Zoe smiled, "That would be great MustyPete, I am sure George will want
to join us. Does he have time to finish the game?

We are headed for the play-offs and he can't miss any games or
practices." she said.

"Oh...Yes, he has time. But we should go to The Bridge as soon as he's
done." I said.

Zoe said "Okay!"

We watched George play hard, all of his team mates played well but they
lost the match by just one goal. But they would still be going to the
play offs in a few weeks. George ran over to us and Zoe handed him a
towel, she turned towards me and said, "Musty Pete, this is George.
George....Musty Pete." motioning with her paw. We both waved and
smiled.

George was still out of breath, he huffed and puffed...."Zoe? Are we
going to the after game get together over at Hinkley's house?"

Zoe smiled at George, "Well George, it seems we have an important
matter to attend to. Kolby is crossing The Rainbow Bridge today, and I
told Musty Pete we would go with him to greet Kolby. Is that okay?" she
asked, batting her eyelashes, girlie-ferts do that sometimes to get a
fert to do what they want them to do, I don't really know HOW it works,
but it always does.

George smiled at Zoe and said, "Kolby huh? Yeah, I knew he had been
sick...that's too bad. But it will be good to see him!

When are we going over there?" he asked.

I said, "Whenever you are ready George, Kolby will be here in about 15
minutes, so we should head over that way shortly."

"Well then, we should get going." George said.

The three of us began walking and soon we were within view of The
Bridge. I don't usually walk this path to the bridge, it is so
spectacular, such a wondrous sight, glorious in it's colors, with a
large arched rainbow above, fields of beautiful flowers below...
it takes my breath away every time I see it.

I heard Zoe let out a sigh, she stopped walking for a moment and both
George and I stopped to look back at her, she had a sad kind of smile
on her face, she looked at us and said, "I haven't been back here since
I crossed over. I was too afraid.... but now, all I see is beauty all
around me." a single tiny tear fell from her eye, she wiped it away
quickly and took a deep breath...

"OK, let's go!" she said, mustering her strength and courage.

George put a paw around Zoe's shoulder and squeezed, "Come on kid...we
have a friend to meet."

A light breeze began to blow, it was warm and smelled sweet like
lavender..."Zoe? George? Face the Bridge....Close your eyes and smell
the breeze...Can you hear The Ferret Promise Song?" I asked. They were
both silent for a moment and then George said "I can hear it...Oh! It's
so quiet and tiny, it sounds so far away...Do you hear it Z?" he asked.

"I do! I do! It's very pretty..." she said.

I stayed there for another second, then I opened my eyes and saw Kolby
walking towards us.

"George.... Zoe....Open your eyes." I simply said.

Zoe saw him first. "Oh Look! It's Kolby!" she exclaimed. She ran to him
and sniffed him all over, nudging him with her nose.

George shoved his paw towards Kolby, "Welcome To The Rainbow Bridge
Brother." he said.

Kolby was awestruck and quite surprised to see both Zoe and George.
"Wow! I wasn't sure this was a real place!! I always thought it was
just a nice story...something to tell your ferts so they wouldn't be
afraid to leave when their time came."

Zoe was still sniffing Kolby...the smell was so familiar. "OOhhh!
Kolby! I just want to snuggle up with you and SMELL you!! You SMELL
like home!!" she sighed.

George gathered them both up in his arms, "Come on kids! Let's take
Kolby home." he said.

George turned to look at me and said, "Are you coming with us Musty
Pete?"

"No." I said, "I think I might just sit here for a while...you kids go
ahead! Have some fun! And make sure you show Kolby around the place,
I'll see you all again in a few days."

They walked off, and I watched them until they were tiny specks on the
horizon.

Kolby will be fine up here...I hope his earth Mom and Dad know that
their Bug will be okay.

You can make a Rainbow Bridge Greeting request by writing to
or send an email to Muldoone or SaraFerret
[but not to Sandee Ferret, she's off bridge duty....she is working in
the clouds now.]