From:
"Holmquist, Maxwell R" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 12:09:31 -0600
HI,

Ferrets and leashes are a tricky thing.  Ferrets are very curious and like
to explore, and they will want to go where they want to, regardless of the
leash.  I guess this is to say that you don't walk a ferret, the ferret
walks you.  I would just let the ferret go where he wants to and follow him,
except don't let him lead himself into trouble.  I reccommend a ferrret
harness combined with a long cat leash.  Ferret harness are the best thing
becuse they are made for ferrets.  Cat harness don't really get the job done
even if they are modified.  I do not reccomend just a collar except for
inside because a ferret will wiggle out of it when you are outside and
escape.  If your ferret wears a collar indoors, remove it so the harness
will fit more safely around the neck.  Get a cat leash that is of good
length, say 3-4 feet so your ferret can freely explore the outdoor world
with out feeling restraint from you very much.  What I fing works the best
is one of the retracting leashes that are used for dogs these days.  The
ferret can wander out at will, and you can reel him in as you please.  They
look sort of like this,

                   **************************************
                   *                                  *
                *                                     *
                 *                                    *
                **********************************
                *                              *
                   *                             *
                   *                              *
                   *                            *
                *                               *
                         ***************************************
                *
                *
                *
                    *
                +

                The plus is the snap hook,

The above measures will work best for "walking your ferret".  As far as
traing your ferret to stay on your shoulder, you can do the follwing.
Ferrets normally do not like riding on the shoulder and will try to climb
down the front or back of you and jump off.  What you can do to stop this
behavior is get a waste basket and fill it up with crumpled sheets of paper.
Put your ferret on your shoulder, and gently lean over the waste basket.
Your ferret will start to jump off and as he does, shout No!  loudly as he
falls into the wastebasket.  You will have to do this many times before it
will work.  I guess the combination of the loud voice and paper noises scare
the ferret into staying on your shoulder.  Eventually when you lean over and
he wants to jump and you shout No!, he will back up and stay on your
shoulder.  The final test is to lean over a regular waste basket different
from the one you trained with.  Your ferret should be uninterested and stay
on your shoulder regardless of how mant attempts you make at it.  Good Luck
to all!!!,

        Sincerly and dooks!!!, Max Holmquist and the hopeless mustelids :-)