From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 00:22:23 -0500
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=7487&startid=7492

>Hi everyone, in case you didn't realise i am a new member to this group,
>so i will introduce myself a little, i am a teenage ferret owner from
>the uk.  My reason for this posting is to request a little information
>from the knowledgable members.  In case you are not aware their has been
>an extremely heated request on some of the less factual ferret
>communities regarding the use of fiprinol based frontline in the ear
>canals of ferrets as a treatment of earmites.  As i am y, any ideas?
>sure you are aware fiprinol has been proven to have neuro toxic
>properties, aslong with other adverse affects, and therefore i have
>extreme reservations regarding this use, and would like further
>scientific evidence to support the case either way, any ideas?

Dear X:

Fipronil is widely used in ferrets in many counties for flea control, and
there has been no report of toxicity when used at recommended dosages.
Studies are not performed by the manufacturer in these products on every
species of animal - that is not a cost-effective practice.  I have
recommended its usage in a number of publications.  Dosages are available
in a wide range of publications including the most recent edition of
_Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery_.

Remember that you can find toxicity information on a wide range of
products that we use on a daily basis - this is how appropriate dosages
are recommended.  Did you know that 100% oxygen is devastating to your
lungs over a period of only a couple of hours?

But you want scientific studies -

Here is a clinical study in which it was used in a wide range of exotic
species, however, not in ferrets (Darn!)

The efficacy of fipronil (Frontline(r)) against ectoparasites: control
of lice, mites and mallophages in diverse small animals
C W Beck
Vet Str 13,D-80539 Munich,GERMANY
Tierarztliche Umschau, 2000, 55, 5, 244-250
Nineteen clinical reports on the efficacy of fipronil (Frontline(r) spray
and Spot On(r)) against a number of external parasites in different
species of small animals are reviewed.  In addition to dogs and cats
the preparation was successfully administered to guinea pigs, hamsters,
rats, mice, budgerigars, pigeons and reptiles for the elimination of pest
arthropods.  Effective parasite was observed for Etodectes cynotis,
Sarcoptes scabei, Cheyletiella yasguri, Neotrombicula autumnalis,
Lynxacarus radovsky, Trichodectis canis, Felicola subrostraties,
Lignognathus setosus, Trixacarus caviae, Polyplax spinulosa, Polyplax
serrata, Liperuus spp., Columbicula columbae and Campanulotes bidentus
compar.  Fipronil kills these parasites rapidly and with a durable
effect, allowing lesions of skin and feathers to improve and reducing
severe pruritus.  Possible contraindications in animals species such
as the rabbit, squirrel, hedgehog and Galliformes are discussed.
Frontline(r) spray is also effective as an environmental decontaminant.

All the best,
Bruce Williams, DVM