From:
Jen Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:20:53 -0500
Hi everyone,

First of all, I wanted to say say thanks to everyone that gave me
suggestions, URL's, etc.  about where to get more info about bloodwork
results on ferrets.  I found some great information.  I'd like to get the
"Pink Book", but the cheapest that I've found it is 42.00, so I'm waiting
to find a decent used one for less.

Also, thanks to everyone that replyed about the ferrets photoperiods and
using red lighting.  We found a red light bulb to put in the ferret room
for 2.50 at Walmart.  I'm not quite sure how it's going to do since it
hasn't been in there real long (2 weeks).  But they are getting natural
light only while it's daylight out.  The only time we turn any light other
than the red one on at night is when something needs taken care of in
their room and we need more light.  They do seem to be shedding quite a
bit again, so they might be getting ready for winter like they should be.
I thought their coats were much too thin even though they DID already
shed at the beginning of November.

I also have a question.  I like to use a little dropper bottle to give our
furkids ferretone, but I'm having trouble finding one that's like we want.
I want the kind that is like the ones used for Amoxacillin.  I want the
dropper to just screw into the bottle as a lid when I'm done.  The only
ones that I've found are sold in bulk to companies.  So, if anyone knows
where I could find these, let me know.

We came up with an idea that I wanted to mention too.  We have one of
those large Super Pet Multi Floor Ferret Homes, and since our fuuzies have
a room of their own, we can let them out of the cage most of the time.
So, we ended up taking the base of the cage off, and just sitting the cage
right on the carpet.  It made our litter box attach better and when the
bottom door is open for them to go in and out of the cage, it rests on the
floor, rather than just sticking out.  Then we took the base of the cage
and flipped it over, so that the bottom of it is upward.  There is a
cutout on each side for access to doors and the clamps on each side to
attach the base to the cage.  These cutouts make great little "doorways"
for the furkids to slither under.  It has become a favorite hidey hole in
there.

Ok, I think I'm done rambling on now.

Dooks to everyone!

 Take care,