From:
tootsdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 05:58:31 -0500
My vet asked me why I was spending so much on hairball remedy (Petromalt)
when all it is is Petroleum Jelly (vasoline mixed with malt).  Some of my
ferrets won't eat it because of it's thickness, so I decided to try
mixing my own.  First you will need an extra jar and a large bowl big
enough to hold double the vasoline to mix it in ( it will be messy and
gooey ) I bought a huge jar of Vasoline at Walmart (very reasonable) ,
put that in the bowl and mix a little ferretone and a tube of Petromalt
in it ( very messy ), till it is a gooey consistancy and mix really well.
Try it out on the kids and see if they like the consistancy and taste.
You can always add more Petromalt but go easy on the ferretone or it will
be too watery.  I no longer have a problem with fussy ferrets accepting
their hairball treatments!!!!  They all love it !  and I keep it all
stored in the Vasoline jar.  Simple and easy.  Do not give them too much
at a time, though they will want more, it can and will give them diahrea
if they get too much.

Just an idea I wanted to share.
Eleanor Mead