From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 22:03:28 -0700
>From:    Andrew & Catherine and sometimes Chryss <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Insulinoma; Advantage flea control - really this time

I tried emailing you direct, but it keeps bouncing, so I am posting to the
list.

>I would also like to hear about anyone's experience with this condition.
>What works, what doesn't, what else can we try?  My vet prescribed .25mg of
>prednisone twice daily as a therapy.  Surgery is an option but we'd like it
>to be a last resort, I don't want to put Khia under gas at her age & it will
>take time to save that much $.

Surgery has worked wonders for some ferrets, and you have to consider that
cancer of the pancreas is a possibility.  But this is your decision.

>She seems to be doing well with the prednisone.  No hind leg failure or
>"zone outs" and very very little head jerking.  I also found out that my
>finicky eater *loves* chicken baby food.

That's great, but keep in mind that chicken baby food will not offer all the
vitamins and nutrients that the ferret needs, make sure she is getting good
food as well, you may need to soften it and mash it up in the babyfood.
Boomer has low-blood-sugar and is doing incredibly well on Pediapred (they
like it better than prednisone and it has the same effect) and Totally
Ferret Food.

You might want to contact FAIR, they have an "insulinoma elixir recipe" that
has done well for some ferrets.  They're on the STAR list.

Good luck!!  Kisses to the fuzzies.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter