From:
Jacqui Duff-Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 12:51:55 +0100
Hi to all FMLers,

I don't think CheWeasels have much to do with ferrets love of rubber as my
kids have never seen them (I don't think they are available in the UK).  My
little girl Vanilla is the most extreme of my pack of Eraser-heads She will
climb on tables and into desks to steal a pencil rubber, and drag it away
to one of her hideouts!  I think she locates them by smell, like bananas or
oranges which suffer the same fate at her hands, but I don't understand how
this accounts for the even squishier new plastic rubbers which she loves
even more!!  She sometimes only gets these treasures halfway across the
room before one of her daughters tries to steal it and often we have
hilarious tug-of-war scenes as they all try to get hold of them.  Please
note I am VERY careful to collect up all the booty when the kids are back
in their run to avoid risk of eating pieces of rubber that might cause
blockages.  It is such a shame they can only play with their squishy rubber
pet balls under strict supervision for the same reason.  Please don't flame
me for letting them have them at all, I really do take a lot of care and
they all get ferretone every day.

I am not sure whether it is really rubber that attracts ferts to shoes, I
think it is the tunnel-like appearance or once again the smell.  My SO has
extremely large & smelly feet and his shoes are top of the family's toy
list during playtime.  They all try to tunnel inside his shoes, the older
and stinkier the better.  I have photos of what looks like two pairs of
shoes with furry shoe-trees - that are actually the back ends of the girls.

Capuccino, my big hob prefers bigger and heavier "prey." He will steal
anything, as long as he can go backwards with it.  (My family call this
terref-ing) Coffee mugs, hammers, you name it are often seen disappearing
under furniture.  He must have seriously strong jaws - I'm glad he never
tries them out on me!  I bet I am not the only ferret person with perforated
buttons on the remote control where little teeth have been practicing.  I
think his daughters must be practicing on a smaller scale as I have recently
noticed they like to steal the blackcurrant flavoured herbal tea-bags from
my mug.  Even when it is still full of warm tea!

On a more serious note, having just recovered from a slight flea
infestation, (The vet said Capa was allergic to the bites, which probably
came from a fox's or hedgehog's fleas picked up on one of his walks since
we only have ferret pets) Capa seems to have lost some hair under his tail.
Can anyone give me the next symptoms to be looking for in case this is
anything more serious than him backing into the corner of his litter tray
or other corners or trees where he likes to scent mark his territory?  I
really dread the thought it might be adrenal.  He is only about 18months
old!  Now he is coming out of season I want to try to re-introduce him to
his family, has anyone got any suggestions or do all you lot keep the sexes
together all year.

Love to all, two legs or four,

Jacqui Duff-Turner,
Capa (I want to get back into the big house with you lot)
Vanilla (this white thing isn't quite as wriggly as one of my babies but
where did those little things go?)
Mushroom (We just grew up, mum)
Truffles, (Some of us have left home already, when will it be my turn?)
and Gizzbutt - (Forget those old shoes - I still like toes best)

Please mail me back on [log in to unmask]