From:
Amy Evers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 21:06:13 -0800
I have been computerless all summer and fall up until last month, and it's
nice to be back with all you wonderful people again!!  I never knew you
could get actual withdrawl symptoms from being with out a 'puter.  ;)

I thought I'd ad my .02 worth on my preference between the two major harness
types.  I personally prefer the nylon cord figure 8 type harness, or I should
say my fuzzies do.  When I first brought Katie into the family 4 years ago I
got her one of the H type nylon web harnesses and a matching leash.  She
HATED it.  Literally... she would flatten out on the floor and refused to
even move.  If she did move at all it was just to slide along like her legs
were all broke.  Yes, she made it look painfull.  Well I decided to try the
figure 8 type, it was much lighter and less bulky.  When I put it on, she
acted like it wasn't even there.  Hmmmmmm.  Well, she is just a tiny 1.75 lb
Marshall Sprite, so it was probably just too heavy.  NOPE!  A year ago I got
Katie a "little" brother, Worf, a boisterous New Zealander who at 8 weeks
out weighed Katie and by 4 months was one and a half times her weight.  I
had immediately gotten him his own figure 8 harness ( actuall I already had
it put away after winning it at the Oregon Ferret Assn.  Fun Match (Yes, I'm
plugging the OFA!) but when he got so big I decided to try the H harness on
him just for fun, and he reacted the same way Katie had but worse.  He
dooked and squeeked like he was being tortured.  But again, he acts like the
figure 8 harness is not even there.  He'll even walk with me as good as any
dog, when he's in the mood.  Anyway, I just think the fuzzies prefer the
less bulky harness, so thats what they get!!

Now, is there anyone out there who might be able to translate German to
English for me?  I was looking through some of the older books in the
archives of the publishing co. that I work for and came across a set of
"nature" books written in German.  (The pictures are great, and helped me
figure out which volume to look in) In one volume of mammals I found the
entry for ferrets (Frett or Frettchen) but I don't know German.  I'd really
like to know what this book written in 1915 has to say about our fuzzie
friends.  Anybody interested in tackling this for me???  Or possibly it's
already been translated and someone could direct me to teh English version??
The title page reads (in part) as follows:

 Brehms Tierleben
 Allgemeine Kunde des Tierreichs.
 [by] Prof. Dr. Otto zur Strassen
 Saugetiere- Dritter Band.
 1915

The entry is about 3 pages long, and the font type is absolutely beautiful!
And, I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT SAYS!  (Yes I'm whinning!  ;}) So somebody
please help me out, OK??

Thanks, and sorry for babbling so long.

Amy
Katie & Worf (aka: The Velociweasel)