From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:37:52 -0500
As a shelter operator, it scares me that ferret owners are considering
not getting their ferrets vaccinated against canine distemper due to the
frequency of adverse reactions to Fervac vaccine.  This increases the
likelihood that we will have a distemper epidemic sometime in the future.
It also increases the possibility that someone will turn in an infected
ferret to a shelter and subsequently infect and kill dozens of other
ferrets.  The law does not require a distemper shot, unlike the rabies
vaccination.  The distemper vaccionation protects your ferret from a
disease which is common in the environment.Even if your ferret does not
go outside, you do, and you can bring it in to your ferret via clothing,
feces or urine from an infected dog or other carrier.

We have never used any canine distemper vaccine except Galaxy D, made by
Fort Dadge labs.  In ten years we have only had ONE adverse reaction,
which was quickly treated.  Our order for this safer vaccine has now been
backordered for 3 months.  The problem is that Fort Dodge bought out the
original manufacturer, and they now produce it sporadically according to
demand.  Fervac, the vaccine that seems to be causing these bad reactions,
is called the "approved" canine distemper vaccine for ferrets.  It does not
matter if it is called "approved", as long as it is tested as effective in
ferrets, which Galaxy-D is.  If we all requested that our vets use only
Galaxy-D, there would be few if any reactions, people would not be
reluctant to vaccinate their ferrets against this devastating and 100%
fatal disease, and, more critically, the manufacturer would be stimulated
to produce a greater supply of the vaccine.  Talk to your vet, or shelter,
or whoever is doing your vaccinations, and get them to request Galaxy-D,
manufactured by Fort Dodge laboratories and distributed by Schering-Plough
Animal Health Corporation.  It will solve this important problem.  Please!

Caroolyn Kinsey
Ferret Rescue of the Western States
If you want to write, Fort Dadge Laboratories,Inc.,Fort Dodge,
IA 50501-0518