From:
"John P. Rumaker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 19:58:14 -0500
I have a new ferret I am fostering, who is a beautiful 3 1/2 year old sable
and quite a hefty ferret( who has been a single guy all his life).  (which
right now I have him, in a large carrier for the next two weeks, before
putting him with the rest of my ferrets) and I have run into a rather
unusual circumstance.  I know ferrets won't go in their litter box if it is
too dirty.  I also know they don't like to get their bedding dirty.  The
problem I am having with "Kramer" is he'll move the litter box and go behind
it.  ( I know they like to 'redecorate'.) If I catch him and yell his name
he'll go in the litter box.  Also, when he urinates (behind the litter box)
he lays in it.  And his urine is really strong smelling.  I don't understand
why he does this.  We have to give him a bath almost daily if we don't catch
him when he goes.

Also, I have tried to introduce him to a few ferrets and other small animals
and he seems to have no interest in them.  And if they are curious about him
he snaps at them and actually got in a bit of a tiff with a few of them.
The lady who gave him to me said she had saved him from a life of neglect
(human compassion and interaction).  He was watered and fed but that was it.
They never played with him in other words.  He loves for humans to play with
him or even just to be held and petted while he sleeps.  He just does not
like other animals.  I figure it is because he has never really been
interactive with other animals and needs to be taught.  Does anyone have any
ideas??  The response will be greatly appreciated.

Katrina Rumaker
Pinky, Butterscotch, Bosco, Rocso, Clyde, Buddy, Mindy, Mandy and Tobie
Long Live KODO