From:
Agnesa Redere <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 00:53:01 +0000
The general accepted "theory", if you will, is that dogs and ferrets
don't mix. I had a ferret and lived with two Borzois (large
sighthounds, who chase after pretty much anything that moves) who were
taught very quickly that the ferret is a part of the family - not a
meal. It is possible to have ferrets and dogs get along and even play
together (under constant supervision, of course).

You need to do research on the breed of dog you're considering getting.
Terriers were made to hunt rodents that lived in burrows, so they've
got the instinct to chase after ferrets. Italian Greyhounds (on a
side note, I might be getting one! YAY!) are sighthounds, so they've
definately got the instincts to chase. I don't know much about the toy
group since I'm just into sighthounds...

Also, knowing ferret behavior and psychology will not help you with
dogs. If you've never had a dog before you've got a LOT of reseach to
do. You do have many more sources than for say, ferrets. Dog genetics
are very well understood, but ferret genetics are still cloudy. As
insight into dog psychology, I suggest you watch the Dog Whisperer
on National Geographic Channel, or go to cesarmillaninc.com Before
understanding how to train a dog with things like clickers (I'm
actually starting using a clicker with my dogs - I've never done it
before), you need to understand how a dog thinks, how they will react
to what you do next.

I wish you luck with your ferrets and possible puppy, and feel free to
send me mail in regards to any questions you have about dogs. Just mark
the subject line with something that hints that you're not spam. ;)

Cheers,
Agnesa